Computer interface to the WSM

Matthew Appler

TVWBB Super Fan
I have begun active development on a project (I still need a good name for it) to allow monitoring and controlling a WSM from a computer. This project will allow remote monitoring of temperatures, data logging of those temperatures, remote alarming for high/low temperatures, and ultimately even servo-based control of the air vents. I am doing this project for fun and to learn a little electronics myself.

If there is interest here, I’d be happy to share information and plans to build it with the group. Currently, I have nearly finished the thermometer interface circuitry and have started working with an analog to digital converter to read thermometer values with a computer. Once this is complete, I will be ready to start active development of the software application.

Please let me know if anyone has interest in building something like this. I'd be happy to help out.

-Matt

Matt

I'm not sure if I'm ready to built something like this but would appreciate being kept informed on your status. Thanks.

Griff

Matt,
I think that you definitely have an interested audience. Personally, I don't think I'd be interested in a servo to control the air vents, I would be more interested in remote monitoring of temps and the data logging.

You mean like one of these?
icon_smile.gif

The Stoker

I was at the West Coast BBQ Championship and had an opportunity to see it working. It appeared well crafted and pretty capable, but I'm not sure how far along it is in it's development or how long before it's ready for public consumption.

Of course, as a consumer I firmly believe competition is a good thing, but you should know these guys have set the bar pretty high. GOOD LUCK!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matthew Appler:
I have begun active development on a project (I still need a good name for it) to allow monitoring and controlling a WSM from a computer.

[...]

Please let me know if anyone has interest in building something like this. I'd be happy to help out.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure if I can help with building it, but I'd love to be involved with the project somehow.

Sean

Kevin, that looks like a cool device. Very nice. Just to be clear though, I'm not intending to sell this in any way. You are welcome to all plans, software, etc. I'm just doing this because I want to. It has been a fun way to learn some electronics.

I'll let everyone know as soon as I have finalized the hardware portion of the design. I am VERY close on that. A few final tweaks and then it is time to solder everything up and build it into a project box.

-Matt

This is something I've thought about for some time (in my head I called it smokebot), but I don't have the technical/programming chops to pull it off.

Glad to see somebody's doing it though. Good luck!

I would love a description or schematic. If you need any help, I'm a circuit designer and my son is a programmer.

What are you using for a probe?

Great work...keep us in the loop.

Are there high temp probes that could be used for grilling? We have very good low temp control in a wsm but I do not have the same confidence in temp control when grilling.

There are a lot of thermometer options that would apply. However, finding them in small quantities at a decent price is difficult. Depending on which ones, they would use a different interface circuit.

-Matt

This may or may not be what you're looking for:

From Nu-Temp, for the NU-7-762 Extended Range Replacement Probe ($14.95 + $5.00 S/H):

We offer two types of replacement probes for the unit, our standard model, which can handle temperatatures up to 392oF or an EXTENDED RANGE MODEL that can handle temperatures UP TO 572*F . Both the NU-701 and NU-751 come with the standard probe for temperatures up to 392*F. The standard probe can be replaced by the extended range probe and visa versa at any time without having to worry about performance being affected or having to reconfigure the unit for the new probe.

http://www.nu-temp.com/701.htm

Rita

You could probably eliminate the 741 op amps used as unity gain buffers (voltage followers) by using a more modern part with low input current. And save a couple resistors by using one that allows common mode voltages down to ground.

On the other hand, if you already have the 741s lying around they will work. There are also parts by national that you just hook up to the thermistor and an external resistor and they output a digital value.

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would resurrect this one.

I too am looking into a microcontroller based project to monitor and perhaps control my one month old WSM.

My biggest area of curiosity right now is temperature probes. One easy but perhaps cumbersome solution involves K-type thermocouples and the Thermocouple Amplifier AD595-AQ IC (along with some sort of analog mux)
Does anyone know the specifics on the store bought probes like the NuTemps? What type of devices are they, and can I interface them easily to an analog to digital converter? Same goes for the probes that the Stoker sells - they appear to be on a bus like the Dallas Semiconductor DS1820 line. Anyone know specifics?

I think once I have a reasonable (and inexpensive) temperature probe source, I can make things work rather inexpensively.

Bob, sorry i can't answer the technical questions for you - I've been interested in this project for a while now.

Calling Matt Appler, Mr. Appler, can you please come to the front desk?

Hey, how is this project going? Did you finish it? How did it turn out?

I've done a little more research this evening, and it appears that the NuTemp probes might indeed be just plain K type thermocouples. I will order one of the AD595 ICs and see if it works.

I am still very curious about the probes that The Stoker uses. All of the serial bus temperature sensors I can find do not go up to the 300-400 degree range. Anyone???

Unfortunately the project is NOT complete..;(

However, when I do get time to work on it is going really well. Since September I've finished out the circuit design and worked on some interfacing with the Brainstem and the PC. I understand this interfacing now (have prototyped a few things) and was ready to move on with actually coding version 1.0 of the product.

(Then came real life....)

At the moment I'm envisioning 3 phases to the software development process.

Phase 1) Digital thermometer on a laptop. This just needs the software side written.

Phase 2) Digital thermometer running on a PDA with 802.11b connectivity to another computer in the house. This will provide "ET-73" capability including logging, adjustable alarms, etc.

Phase 3) Automatic vent control. The board I am using (the Brainstem) allows servo control. I'd like to rig up servo control of the air vents for an pseudo-automated WSM.

I'll try and find some time to pick things up again. If you want more info, I'm happy to share anything I've done.

-Matt

Back