New Old Genesis

Mark Skeet

TVWBB Pro
I picked up an older Genesis yesterday off CL locally for a good price. I'm not too familiar with the older grills, but the serial number starts with EH. So if it works the same as the charcoal grills, it's from 1994.

It's in good shape. It's missing the flip up table and the previous owned replaced the original side table with plywood. But there isn't much rust, the burners are new and the flavorizer bars are in decent shape. I'll definately give it a good bath and get new grates. The previous owner enjoyed painiting it which is probably why there's no rust. The current color is faded orange and he painted the knobs blue. It was originally red.

I've never rehabed a grill before. Any suggestions on stripping the paint and the best way to get it red again? It's really in good shape and I feel like she deserves to be a red head again.

I wonder if he painted right over the original finish?
If he did, that paint should come off easily.
Try some fine steel wool and some warm soapy water. If that gets through to the finsh, then all you need is time. I would remove the Weber plaque and soak it for a while, then sand and repaint it..

That's Oswego Panthers orange & blue.
icon_biggrin.gif

Tim

As much as I would love to support the Oswego Panthers, the Chicago Bears and the Fighting Illini, I'm not going to keep the grill orange.

It actually cleaned up real nice. Once it was warm I was able to easily scrape the orange paint off. Underneath the red was in like new condition.

Cleaned years and years of crud out of the inside and got new SS grates.

I may see if I can get a new logo plate from Weber. It took a bit of a beating during paint removal and I don't think I have the skills to resore it myself. Also going to try to find or make a new handle and side table. It also has the older quick connect for the LP tank so I may have to do something with that as well.

With the grates, warming racks, new thermometor and cover I'm about $150 in total. Should last me for years. Not bad.

IMO Way better red than orange. Too bad he didn't mask the emblem before he painted.

Nice looking grill!

Back