The science behind the water pan

Brian Silvey

TVWBB Member
I've read plenty about peoples experience using hot water, cold, none, clay, sand. That aside, what is the science of how the water, or any of these methods, help to control the temp?

Thanks,
Brian

It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree c. Why water is different is, it takes 540 calories to change 1 gram of water at 100c (212F)into steam. The other heat sink materials do not go thru a change of state at bbq temps.
So a burst of heat can be absorbed in that change of state transition without the cooker temp going up as much or as fast as it otherwise would.

Thanks to both of you. I had guessed it had soemthing to do with water boiling at 212. Does the steam delay or alter the formation of the bark?

Brian

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Silvey:
Thanks to both of you. I had guessed it had soemthing to do with water boiling at 212. Does the steam delay or alter the formation of the bark?

Brian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
i personally believe it does. i don't know if i would call it a "better" bark, but i will say that going without water in the pan does make for a more "noticeable" texture in the bark.

I was told there would be no science
icon_razz.gif
JK LOL

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Silvey:
Does the steam delay or alter the formation of the bark? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure it does, so if you're going to cook in dry heat it's best to foil during the cook so the bark doesn't start drying out. Not only my opinion but that of scads of bbq competitors.

Well, Not trying to open this age old debate AGAIN, Butt, There is this article: http://amazingribs.com/tips_an...n_the_water_pan.html In which they explain the difference about water vs. no water. Just to break it down for my own understanding, it boils down to this (pun intended
icon_biggrin.gif
). After reading a lot of the post here I've found those that are trying to maintain a higher temp in their rigs are usually cooking in colder temps or have units that are not as tight as some other. By the same token, (including me) I have to struggle to maintain lower temps due to higher OAT's. Water for me boiling off at 212* F. is a fair trade for the extra work. I've not noticed any problem with good bark formation thus far.

Just my .02.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back