Spare ribs and loin back ribs at same time

C. Moore

TVWBB Member
Which ones should go on the top and which on the bottom? Cooking on WSM over Kingsford and a water pan. The spares are trimmed to a St. Louis cut, and the trimmed racks weigh about the same as the loin back racks. There will be three or four racks of each. Thanks.

C. Moore in Columbia, SC

Even with the weights being the same, the spares will probably take a bit longer since they tend to be more "meaty".

The decision on where to cook depends on your specific WSM. Conventional wisdom is that the top rack is a little hotter thus you should cook your spares up there. In both my 18 and 22 WSM, there is no more than 5 degrees difference in top and bottom racks by the time you get an hour or so into the cook.

May be easier to just put the spares on for about an hour and then throw in the backs...should be done all about the same time then.

Have fun.

When I do a mix of spares and backs I usually put the spares on an hour before the back ribs. They usually end up done at the same time but sometimes I have to leave one or the other on a little longer. FWIW I usually but do not always remove the sternum on the spares.

I agree, spares on the bottom for an hour or so, actually I would go closer to two hours and then put the BB on the top rack for two hours. They all should be done together. I would keep the temp around 275.

Steve

Back