Gyros

Wolgast

TVWBB Olympian
Emilie thinly sliced up a pork neck and put it in a marinade. When i came home from work we put it on Skewers and grilled for a fast but good dinner.
Made this with a loin in the past...But the normal gyros here in Sweden is made from the neck. Dident really know what to expect of this one but it was great.

Here we go:

The meat slicer was used for this.

After the marinade..Skewered(in an $ shape)...And dusted with a Kabob mix.(store bought)

It was grilled indirect for 30 min.(to render some fat) Turned every 10 min. And then finished direct 1min/side.

We served it with some: Cheese,cucumber,olives,onion,maters,peperoni..Should been eaten in a Pita bread,But we dident have that @ home so we used some tortilla bread instead.

Cut up.

Rolled up:

Turned out Really good! And the best part is that we have a bag of marinated/sliced pork neck in the freezer. Not the best pics..The camera was on a set mode,and i dident check the pics untill the day after. A well i guess that doesent matter.

Have an awesome day ppl!

Outstanding
icon_cool.gif

I could go for one of those anyday.

This looks amazing.

What alternatives can I use besides pork neck that I can run through the slicer? I have never seen that cut here.

Pre slicing the gyro what a concept, every piece gets a nice char

That looks great!

I'm trying to figure out what to make for dinner tomorrow night. What was in the marinade? How long in the marinade? What's the store bought kabob mix like?

Thanks ppl!

Yianni: Shoulder is just as good...I cant find any good shoulders/butts around,so the neck is what im doing pulled pork with. And a rotis would be a great thing to have while doing this. Then you dont have to cut em as thin. But skewers works decent.

D0n: Bout the marinade,we froze in the other halfh in the marinade so i guess you can go as long as you want,But a few hours is a must. In the marinade Emilie used a store bought one. But the spice mix includes:

Black pepper
paprika
cumin
oregano
cayenne
garlic
turmeric
cilantro

I would add these to any veg oil and marinate. And then rub with a spice mix witch includes these spices.

Ohh and we put an youghurt based sauce and some salsa in the wrap aswell...Missed that
icon_confused.gif

Great stuff Daniel! Love your gyros. They remind me of tacos al pastor which is one of my favorite Mexican dishes.

Al pastor is the best. its cooked the same way as gyro in greece and some areas of the middle east. I think al pastor means something like Shepard style and was adopted from the middle east.

Actually gyro in Greece is all pork just like this cooked on a vertical rotis. The meatloaf style we are used to here (which I still love) is not common in Greece at all.

the closest to the real thing I have found is this little dumpy place in Astoria NY. BZ grill that makes it authentic with pork.

These pics excite me because it seems like a great way to make a smaller amount and get that texture with the nice crispyness on the outside.

thumb_275.jpg

2008_08_16LastDay-0006.jpg

Gyros look great Daniel! Like the creative use of tortillas vs. pita bread. Shows off the contents of the wrap nicely.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yianni:
Al pastor is the best. its cooked the same way as gyro in greece and some areas of the middle east. I think al pastor means something like Shepard style and was adopted from the middle east.

Actually gyro in Greece is all pork just like this cooked on a vertical rotis. The meatloaf style we are used to here (which I still love) is not common in Greece at all.

the closest to the real thing I have found is this little dumpy place in Astoria NY. BZ grill that makes it authentic with pork.

These pics excite me because it seems like a great way to make a smaller amount and get that texture with the nice crispyness on the outside.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice job Daniel... And Yianni, I was just there to that place in Astoria, Queens about a month ago! Great gyro and Greek fries too!

Daniel, I wouldn't change a thing! Looks Absolutely OUTSTANDING!!
and your photos are Great as Ever!!

If you hadn't sold me before on this method of making Gyros (you did!) this post would put me over the edge. This has to be just as good as Alton Brown's gyros loaf recipe if not better! Nice work.

Thanks again ppl.

Peter: the red stuff is marinated sundried tomatoes.

Yianni: That´s how they do gyros here in Sweden aswell. But if i had to choose from that electric setup vs coal grilled....The answer is simple.

Jersey Joe: What is Greek fries?

Back