Amazon Order

Michael Kelly

I am putting together an order for a WSM from Amazon (using the link from this page of course).

Being new to all this, I need to buy most everything I will need at once and figured I'd do one big Amazon order and have it arrive all on one day.

Don't want to go too crazy here but I need a short list of essentials (all of which I don't have).

1) WSM
2) Chimney
3) Grill brush
4) BBQ tool set

anything else I might want to get started on my first smoke?

(I'll buy the charcoal and smoke wood down the street at Home Depot)

Looks like you have all the bases covered. You might want to add some type of grill gloves in there if you don't have anything that'll do the trick. I have two sets of BBQ tools which I rarely use. My kitchen tongs are all I really need.

I agree with Miguel and Bob. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't get the tool set. I have bought a few sets and have found that I don't use the basting brush and they're mostly cheap-o. For me, the most important tool is the tongs. In sets, the tongs are often wonky at best. Just get good tongs and maybe a good BBQ spatula.

Yes, a spatula and tongs are all you'll likely need, but gloves are a necessity! I've got the scars to prove it!
icon_frown.gif

Your going to need something to moved the coals around and maybe a good instant read thermometer or a digital thermometer like tru temp to measure the temperature of the meat so your not constantly opening the smoker to see how the meat looks.

I find a large oil pan from an auto parts store for setting the cooker and the lid on is helpful. Let's see someone cram THAT into a tool set.

Michael, the chimneys are a few bucks cheaper at HD. Gloves are essential, I'm using leather with Kevlar welders gloves from a tool store, $9

I'm still a relatively new Q-er, but here a few things to consider:

1) On thing that helped me tremendously was getting the Maverick ET-732 remote thermometer. It has a probe for the grill (so you know the temp of your "pit") and a probe for the meat. I can be sitting downstairs in my man-cave watching TV and monitor the temps of both my WSM and the meat on it. No need for going outside, unless I want to enjoy the smell of smoke
icon_smile.gif

2) Make sure you have some kind of table or stand that you can put near the WSM. Someone mentioned an oil pan; a common problem is where to put your lid without leaving a greasy ring on your deck or patio.

3) I think Harry Soo mentioned this in his recent Q&A with the forum...don't bother with a fancy grill brush. Buy cheap ones at the dollar store, and when they get "gunked" up just toss them and get another. Spend your money on good TONGS and GLOVES or mitts as mentioned earlier.

Good luck! You will love your WSM.

Thanks for all the support (therapy)

Going to ditch the tool set.

Going for the Maverick ET-732. I know it's pricey but the reviews are solid.

Need a pair of Gloves. Will take a recommendation from the group.

Thanks again to the group. Taking my time with this and enjoying the process. Reading this forum, watching the videos, studying technique, it's all been a lot of fun.

GOOD Tongs, gloves, Maverick, chimney, chimney starter blocks.

For gloves, you require 1 pair to handle the REALLY hot stuff outside. I have another food grade pair to handle the meats (Raichlen makes a decent set).

I was shopping (like Walmart shopping) at a restaurant supply store nearby. I bought 4 pairs of restaurant grade 20" tongs for $2 each. I also bought 8 plastic condiment bottles for $1 each. I bought a set of metal measuring cups for larger measures (1/4 to 1 cup) and a set of metal measuring spoons. I also bought 3 restaurant pans for $5 each. Spent $500 including pots and pans but the above make life much more enjoyable.

Looks like a good list and the suggestions from the other guys are all great too. One little change though and I think it's important: You need to change the shipping address to my house!

Seriously though, have fun.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back