Stoker - High Temperature Sensor

A. Vale

TVWBB Fan
I was thinking about picking up a second fire temperature sensor for my Stoker and wondering if anyone has the high temperature sensor version that he sells. I'm thinking that the metal jacket on the wire might be a good thing in case I ever leave the lid off the smoker and forget to put it back on. Comments?

The outer casing on my sensor has a hole in it from a cook that went bad because my stoker didn't like playing in 20 degree temps. I've been using it that way for a year now and all seems fine but I would definitely get a high temp probe if I were to purchase a new one to prevent damage if anything ever goes awry again.

edit: I meant to say the sensor lead not the probe itself. Sorry for the confusion.

I ruined one sensor by leaving the lid off too long while I was taking the meat off the smoker. It doesn't take long for the temps to go way up with the lid off. The high-temperature probes would be good insurance.

When I replace my probes I will be going the high temp route, that way I can use them in a high temp situation.

I ordered the high-temperature probe, but was informed that it is currently not available. I sent "Rock" an e-mail asking when they would be available but never got a response back. Not sure if he isn't selling them or just out of stock...

Are the high temp probes to "protect" against high temperatures or can they be used to monitor a high temp cook (even for a few minutes for example a steak at 600-700)?

Yes, it should be able to. I think a lot of people expose their probes (both Stoker and Guru) to high heat accidentally when they take their food off. If you take your food off and forget to put the lid back on, the temperature goes way up and can potentially damage a probe.

Thanks, that's good news so I can let the Stoker get my pit temp up to 700 (controlled) and I can get my steak nicely cross-charred followed by a lower temp finish?
As the site says Pit temp 100-450 I wasn't sure whether the actual controller good go to these high temps....

PaulR, the standard probes that come with the Stoker are only good up to 450 as you have indicated. Rock has a high-temperature probe for sale that is good up to 1,000 degrees (but last time I tried to purchase wasn't available). BTW, the Stoker (and the Guru for that matter) is more about consistent temperature control at lower temperatures for long durations. Personally I wouldn't use it for a high-heat cook. In addition, the Stoker can increase temperature by turning on the fan, but can't do much (other than turn off) to lower the temperature. So your statement of going to 700 degrees to char and then lower the temperature to cook isn't a good application for a temperature controller in my opinion. That type of stuff is best left to a gas grill or a traditional weber kettle with a "hot" side and a "low" side (by piling more coals on one side than the other).

Thanks for the feedback, as I'm supremely lazy I thought it would be a handy way to ensure:
1. the temps would never run away on me (as a KK can hit 1000 in a few unattended minutes instead of stablising at 700.
2. That the temp is brought down to finishing temps again by almost shutting down the KK but the stoker ensuring it would start pumping in oxygen when it hits that 300 threshold?
And yes I also do much longer cooks but was looking for a bit more high temp versatility?
PS Is John feeling better as I wouldn't mind ordering but if items are unavailable I can just as easy hold off for a while and continue with my guru...
PPS Keep the feedback coming as I might be completely barking up the wrong tree with my method?

Back