Incredible Brisket Rub and Mop

Bruce Hunroe

A friend of mine loaned me Smoke and Spice by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison. The recipe is entitled Braggin'-Rights Brisket. This was my first attempt at a brisket. I have a pretty firm grip on the beer-can chicken and the BRITU and my wife urged me to branch out...and branch out I did with this incredible rub and beer mop.

Wild Willy's Number One-Derful Rub

3/4 cup Paprika
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons cayenne

Basic Beer Mop

12 ounces beer
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup canola or corn oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon of Wild Willy's Number One-Derful Rub

The night before barbecuing, combine rub ingredients and apply evenly to brisket. Load it on! Make sure you reserve 1 tablespoon of the rub for the beer mop. Place the brisket in a plastic bag and refrigerate over night.

Brisket is to sit out 45 minutes before smoking.

Bring smoker temp to 210-225 degrees.

In a saucepan, combine Beer Mop ingredients and warm over low heat.

Cook brisket 1 to 1 1/4 hours per pound and every hour or so baste the brisket with the mop.

When meat is done, let it sit for 20 minutes then cut the fatty top from the leaner bottom. Cut against the grain but be alert because the grain changes direction without notice!

I also used Bone Suckin' Sauce. This is a sauce common in the grocery store here in the Richmond, Virginia, area.

I am my worst critic and this rub and mop recipe was a home run. It was a dive with no splash! Family have called all morning raving about brisket. Give it a try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bruce, I noticed 3/4 cup Paprika. Did the brisket have a strong Paprika flavor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

paprika flavor does not hold up well during the extended cook times required to get a brisket to tender. Since it imparts little to no flavor (and has a tendency to darken), most will suggest omitting it or subbing it with chile powder. I replaced paprika with ancho chile powder in all of my recipes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bruce, I noticed 3/4 cup Paprika. Did the brisket have a strong Paprika flavor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

paprika flavor does not hold up well during the extended cook times required to get a brisket to tender. Since it imparts little to no flavor (and has a tendency to darken), most will suggest omitting it or subbing it with chile powder. I replaced paprika with ancho chile powder in all of my recipes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto and good advice! I like to use either ancho, guajillo or pasilla - whatever mood I happen to be in at the time. Like them all much better than the paprika.

I asume this recipe is for a smoker not a reg BBQ ? What makes me ask is I notice you are mopping every hr ? opening up your smoker ? don't that play heck on your temp control ?

Thanks for the recipe.

Tastes fantastic. Rave reviews from the friends and family.

12314374_10208551188647346_5836203418334216982_o.jpg

Thanks for the recipe.

Tastes fantastic. Rave reviews from the friends and family.

12314374_10208551188647346_5836203418334216982_o.jpg

Used this recipe for my first brisket attempt and it was a grand success. Tough crowd with my 4 brothers, wives and kids and they all raved about it. Next step, smoked salmon!...well, we'll see.

I used the rub yesterday on the brisket flat I smoked for Thanksgiving yesterday. I replaced the paprika with chili powder as well, and boy was this a success!! This was only the second brisket I had done, so I was a little concerned about the flavor of the rub, but man oh man this rub is spot on!!!
Thanks for sharing,
Tim

Back