The Happy Cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason in California

Closed Account
Hey folks, just wanted to post some shots for you guys of The Happy Cooker that I just picked up off CL for $20. I asked the seller how old it was and he just told me he inherited it and had no idea. Since people here name their grills, I have decided to call mine, edit:"Elmo".

DSC00311a.jpg

DSC00320a.jpg

DSC00316a.jpg

Edit: Originally wanted to call it Pacman, but wrong color and all so "Elmo" is the new name:
DSC00317a.jpg

DSC00318a.jpg

Ash Catcher inside the bowl:
DSC00310a.jpg

DSC00322a.jpg

what a sweet oddity. i think that is a wber sold by sears due to that shield inside. awesome no matter what. interesting lid setup. can the lid be removed easily ?

yes, the lid comes off easily and feels like it's almost on rollers as you pull it back, sort of like if you removed the lid on the performer by rolling it back without lifting it off the grill(which i don't recommend since the metal tab and bar on the holder will probably scratch the lid).

as to removing it completely, just push the metal bars out of the holes.

i believe Shaun said that these Happy Cookers were made by Weber for UNR Home Products, based in Paris, IL which went out of business or was sold off or shuttered? by the parent company. someone with more knowledge will have to fill in for me here. They also had the old propane kettle weber made at one time.
the page this links to has a weber go anywhere if you scroll up a bit, and also the propane happy cooker if you scroll down. both on the right side of the page.
LINK

semi recent thread on here about happy cooker

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jason, great score! Isn't that hinged lid everything I said it would be?
icon_wink.gif
Just wait until you cook with it and see what a breeze that lid is. I love the red color too. The ash catcher and wing nuts on the legs are a nice touch. That's special. I will find a picture of my brown one tomorrow. I got lost for a while in that Popular Mechanics page. Did anyone else see the tip if you scroll down about useing cat litter to soak up the grease below the charcoal? That's classic!
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again for posting those pictures of "Elmo" (great name) and again, nice score.

Nice!

I have the ash pan from a Sears Economy Kettle and I use it in my Cajun Bandit OTG. It works very good for low n' slow smoking and I wish I had a couple more of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back