Grill-Smoked Injected Turkey (Weber)

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I thought this recipe might be of some interest because of the injection liquid. Personally, I’d inject the turkey the night before to give the liquid some time to spread throughout the meat tissue. Am I off base with that?

Rita

GRILL-SMOKED INJECTED TURKEY (Weber)
Original Title: Smoked Barbecued Turkey, from Weber.com Recipe of the Week, November 19, 2004
Makes 11–13 servings.

Indirect/Medium heat

This recipe requires a kitchen syringe.

1 turkey, 11 to 13 pounds, fresh or defrosted
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

3 cups chicken stock
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
1 tablespoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

3 handfuls hickory chips, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes

REMOVE the neck and giblets from the turkey cavity and reserve for another use. If your turkey has a metal or plastic trussing clamp, leave it in place.

LIGHTLY BRUSH OR SPRAY the turkey all over with oil.
SEASON the inside and outside generously with salt and pepper.

INJECTION LIQUID. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, cook the chicken stock, butter, marjoram, thyme, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper until the butter has melted.

Pour 1 cup of the chicken stock mixture into a small bowl. Draw the mixture in the bowl into a kitchen syringe. Inject the syringe into the drumsticks, thighs, and breast of the turkey, refilling the syringe each time.

Pour the remaining 2 cups of the chicken stock mixture inside a heavy-duty roasting pan. Place the turkey, breast side up, on a roasting rack, and set inside the pan.

FOLLOW THE GRILL'S INSTRUCTIONS for using wood chips.

GRILL THE TURKEY over Indirect Medium heat, using wood chips for the first 30 minutes. Check the turkey after the first hour. If any parts are getting too dark, wrap them tightly with aluminum foil. Check again after another hour and cover any dark areas with foil. The turkey is done when the internal temperature reaches 160°F in the breast and 170°F in the thickest part of the thigh, about 2-1/4 to 3 hours. Transfer the turkey to a cutting board and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes before carving (the internal temperatures will rise 5°F to 10°F during resting).

Back