The WSM's Only Flaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Yet another new owner, with a whopping 4 cooking sessions under my belt. My family has enjoyed a couple of slabs of baby backs, a couple of slabs of spareribs, 2 pork shoulder blade roasts, a pork butt and a chuck roast. Pretty much smooth sailing, this thing is almost spooky in its reliability.

I'd like to thank this site's administration, it has proven to be a priceless resource. I'd also like to thank all of you owners who have nearly a religious fervor to spread the word about this little cooker. Everywhere I sought answers, there was a vocal group of WSM owners cheerleading for this thing. This belief in a product, like that for Macintosh computers, or the Linux OS usually means a real gem, and it appears that such is the case here.

Now about that flaw. The WSM is simply TOO easy! It has been noted that when I fire the thing up, I will be in the area for at least 4, and up to 12 hours. It has further been noted that for the vast majority of that time, I will be available for all of the projects I've been successfully ducking up until now. Folks, I need some help here! Any ideas on how to make it look like I'm slaving away at the smoker?

Jay

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jay Arnold:
[qb] Any ideas on how to make it look like I'm slaving away at the smoker? Jay [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Start with gizmos-- lots of digital probe and remote pager thermometers-- one each for the top and middle of the smoker, and one for each piece of meat cooking. Lots of wires and beeps going off look and sound like really technical stuff is going on.

Jay
Five years ago it wasn't this simple, there were many less cooks adding to the information base we all get to feed on now days.
Chris has been very good about publishing all this info in a very easy to understand format.
The forums have been able to shorten the learning curve from years to months if your willing to put in the time cooking.
Enjoy your new cooker, she will give you the opportunity to cook great BBQ as you wish.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jay Arnold:
[qb]I'd also like to thank all of you owners who have nearly a religious fervor to spread the word about this little cooker.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, I think of myself as enthusiastic...but not that enthusiastic! However, I must admit that after I cooked those beef ribs recently that turned out so darned good, when I went out to the backyard to shut down the cooker, I made a little "bowing" gesture to the WSM with hands outstretched. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oh, and if you want to make using the WSM look harder, just following the method of firing the cooker described in the Owner's Manual. You'll be adding fuel about every hour. Do that for an overnight cook and you'll really earn the respect of family and friends!

Regards,
Chris

Jay,

Get a comfortable chair, a six pack of beer in a cooler, a radio and a spray bottle full of water.
Dip your hand in the charcoal bag, smug charcoal on your face a bit, then kick back and enjoy some music.
Every couple of hours spray some mist on your face, go into the house and say to your wife (if you're married)...
"Gee hon...keeping a constant temp on this thing is a *****, but you work so hard during the week, I want to make you the perfect dinner so it's all worth it..." /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Sound advice, Gal. I've made a point not to emphasize the ease of using the WSM to family and friends. If they think that it's a labor intensive process, so much the better. And, hey, they get to enjoy the results, right? Win/win all the way. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Randy Parr:
[qb] Jay,

Get a comfortable chair, a six pack of beer in a cooler, a radio and a spray bottle full of water. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>NICE quote, hahaha. I'm lookin' forward to kicking back with some friends and some brews tomorrow. I gotta agree though, this thing is almost too easy (I said almost). Now I've got no excuses about stuff being ready late, no reason why I can't walk the dogs or run to the hardware store, any of the stuff that worked with the old smoker. I think the key is to just keep the loved ones in the dark, don't let them know how well this thing works. And if that doesn't work, use our good friend alcohol and LOTS of it, that should at least keep you from having to run errands! Good luck and be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back