Stoker or DigiQ II

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I think I'm going to purchase a ATCS and I'm not sure if the Stoker or DigiQ II is for me.

The major difference that I think I would utilize is that I could monitor/control from the Internet via a computer or my SmartPhone. Another feature is the ability to save logs to my network too.

Is there anything else that I may be missing? Thanks in advance.

I'm a Stoker owner and love it. That said, I don't think you could go wrong with either unit. As you read through this forum I think it is pretty safe to say that the overwhelming majority of users of both systems love it.

Larry - I think that's pretty much it. As Todd says both work very well, but I have never used a Stoker - just read about it. I think the Stoker adds a whole other aspect in terms of flexibility that frankly I wasn't interested in. I am on laptop/pc's all day. Didn't want to get into the temp controller at that level or needed to connect to multiple cookers, etc. I wanted a simple, standalone, reliable, effective controller that was easy to set up and use. DigiII did that for me.

I agree, looks like 1/2 the camp uses Stoker the other Guru and both sides are satisfied. So the major factor being ability to control remotely. Not as much from my PC/Laptop but I like the idea of being about to control/monitor it from my SmartPhone via the Internet away from the house. Everything else looks pretty equal.

Thanks for the input.

For me the decision was based on the Web interface.

I work for a major software company that provides software for manufacturing and process control engineers to build application. The Stoker created a perfect synergy between my two favorite things to do. BBQ and computers.

I now have taken my companies software and created an full MMI application to visualize, historize and control my WSM.

Bob, I think that's what it's going to come down to for me. I too am a "technology guy" working in the IT industry for 18 years so for me this type of interface is very desirable and almost cannot imagine not having one. I love the idea of being able to control/monitor it from anywhere . . . not that I'd be checking it from China or anything but I'd do see myself checking it from the gym, store, car wash etc. How did you connect your's to your network? Wired connection or wireless?

I rigged something up with my ET-73 where my web cam takes a picture of the unit showing both temps and email it to me every 15 minutes. But all I can do with this setup is rush home (or call if there's someone there) and have them make the adjustments for me.

Larry,
I wired my entire house a few years ago, every room is hardwired with jacks on each wall. So for me it was natural to connect my stoker wired. Don't get me wrong I do have wireless but I prefer to use that for temporary stuff. I have a tablet that I use in the house to monitor the Stoker and it is wireless, but coming from a controls engineering background I prefer my control systems to to be hardwired to the network .

Right now I just plug in a cable to the stoker and run it into the house.

After my current project is completed it will be a more permanent setup with a switch and a pc built in.

Bob, I don't want to steal this thread, but can you tell us a little more about your Stoker handset app and if you plan on sharing it?

Larry, I have the Stoker and my father has the DigiQ II. Both are good products. The Stoker allows you to monitor, receive SMS updates, graph, etc. with 3rd party software from Ken and Amir. The DigiQ II is a very small package and is more of a set it and forget it product. Based on your backgrounds sounds like the Stoker is a good fit. BTW, I'm using the Buffalo Wireless Ethernet Adapter to connect the Stoker to my wireless network. I started with the Linksys Game Adapter (that you can find for $20 on the net) and it was nothing but headaches.

Hope this helps!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A. Vale:
Bob, I don't want to steal this thread, but can you tell us a little more about your Stoker handset app and if you plan on sharing it?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Instead of hijacking Larry's thread I posted here to kind of describe my application. I wouldn't mind sharing the app and will be happy to post my library when it is a bit more stable. The problem is that I am using somewhere around $8000.00 worth of software licensing to do this with our software. So the actual application wouldn't be much use to anyone.

If I didn't have access to the software and demo licensing I wouldn't be doing this, I would use Amir's and Ken's applications. As a matter of fact I use them now while I am still playing with my application.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The problem is that I am using somewhere around $8000.00 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob, don't worry ab out hi-jacking the thread, I think I've gotten out of it what I needed. You answered the question in my head, "what is the software licensing required?"

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Stoker this week. Thanks for all the input and advice.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and input, it was very helpful. Just placed my order for a Stoker
icon_biggrin.gif

Back