1st Bacon Smoke Questions

Terry L

TVWBB Fan
Hey guys, I bought a 10lb belly from my butcher for $2.25 a pound today and plan on using the Ruhlman recipe. Cut them into 4 - 2.5lb pieces and put 2 in the fridge and 2 in the freezer this afternoon. I plan on cooking 2 of the 2.5lbs after the 7 day process is finished. Any idea about how long it will take on the WSM? Plan on using Stubbs @ 180-200F (lid temp). Also, after smoking both pieces can I freeze one piece while we're eating the other piece, and if so, how long can it keep in the freezer? Thanks.

about 4-5 hours to come to 150 at those temps, it will keep well wrapped in the freezer for a long time. Vacuumed probably years.

Thanks Dave...should I cook with full or empty water pan? I would think that a full water pan would keep temps down.

I never use water in my pan but either way works. Just start with very few lit and start closing down the vents 40-50 degrees below your target temp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry L:
Thanks Dave...should I cook with full or empty water pan? I would think that a full water pan would keep temps down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Terry,
The only time I use water in my pan is when I am smoking at these temps. Which is when I am smoking Bacon or Sausages.

Put 7 1/2 lb. into a maple syrup, apple juice, light brown sugar, sea salt (forgot to look for that dang pink salt again) brine last night. Will smoke Easter morning with a maple / apple mix.
2nd time I've ever bought pork belly and this has skin on. 3 approximately 2 /2 lb. chunks. Two had teats that I had to remove and also a little tissue that I cut out. Felt like I was doing a masectomy on a pig.

Back