Q models cool down time?

Lee James

TVWBB Member
I recently purchased a SJP to use as a travel grill, and I'll probably keep it in my truck most of the time, but while in the store, I glanced at one of the Q grills and have read through pretty much all of the threads on them here.

For stuff such as tailgating or an after work cookout, letting the coals burn down probably won't be a problem, but if I wanted to cookout during my meal break, I might not have time to do so.

I am curious as to how quickly the Q models cool down once the heat is turned off. This might actually be a more viable alternative for a grill to keep in the truck.

Lee
After about 10-15 minutes with the lid up you can pack it up, if you use a Q100 (no side tables) you could pack it away after about 5 minutes as there will be no thermoset plastic tables to worry about.

Basically by the time you have finished eating it will be ok to pack up.
You do not need the rolling cart. The Q 100 or 200 series can be set up on a table, however, if you have room a rolling cart is a good investment.

Regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
Lee
After about 10-15 minutes with the lid up you can pack it up, if you use a Q100 (no side tables) you could pack it away after about 5 minutes as there will be no thermoset plastic tables to worry about.

Basically by the time you have finished eating it will be ok to pack up.
You do not need the rolling cart. The Q 100 or 200 series can be set up on a table, however, if you have room a rolling cart is a good investment.

Regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it safe to set up on an actual tailgate?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Is it safe to set up on an actual tailgate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We do not tailgate in Australia so I can not answer from experience but I would think that if you can use a charcoal grill on a tailgate with all the inherent fire dangers then a Q would be as safe if not safer.

The expression "tailgating" in Australia means driving within a few meters of someones rear bumper.

Regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Is it safe to set up on an actual tailgate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We do not tailgate in Australia so I can not answer from experience but I would think that if you can use a charcoal grill on a tailgate with all the inherent fire dangers then a Q would be as safe if not safer.

The expression "tailgating" in Australia means driving within a few meters of someones rear bumper.

Regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The term has dual meaning here. It is used to describe following another vehicle too closely, but it is also, as I am sure you are aware, a slang term for cooking out before a sporting event, typically in the parking lot of the venue hosting the event.

I don't think I will cook with my SJP directly on the tailgate, but when you said that you could cook with it on top of the table, it piqued my curiosity as to if it would be possible to cook in such a manner.

Back