Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

TVWBB Pro
    You guys are AWESOME!!! I have had this idea on my mind for a couple of years now. Tamale cooker / stock pot never crossed my mind. I never thought a pot that big would be cheap enough to buy, or easy enough to cut. It looks perfect!

More pics, please!

We need to keep a good thread going on this. Seriously, I have googled everything and finally this discussion was a direct hit.

Ordering the tamale cooker from target today!

Thanks guys, and great work. I'm sure I will have some questions when I build.
    22.5 WSM, Red SS Performer, 22.5 OTS, 22.5 Red 70's Kettle, mini wsm, SJS

TVWBB Wizard
    Can anybody give me suggestions on how to cut the bottom out of the tamale pot and get a straight edge? What kind of cutter to I need?

Chris Peres from CB offered to cut the bottom out of my pot, but he's almost 2 hours away and those 2 hours up and back have been hard to come by.

Our local Piggly Wiggly is all the time selling these little mini-butts - about 3.5 lbs each - and they would be just too darn cute on one of these little Mini-WSM's!

I've got all the hardware - just need to get my pot cut!

Pat
    PFSmith
    WSMs, OTS & G, Performer, Q 220, Char Q, SJP, Genesis Silver B - general Weber apologist - a Kamado Joe, couple BGE's, Vermont Castings Gasser and a Traeger Pellet Pooper

"Grilling is a religious experience; smoking is a spiritual retrea

TVWBB Pro
    Originally posted by Pat Smith:
    Can anybody give me suggestions on how to cut the bottom out of the tamale pot and get a straight edge? What kind of cutter to I need?
    I used a sawzall type of saw and it was way overkill. (And did not get a very straight cut.) That metal is really thin you will find it not hard at all to cut. I would use aviation snips. They have tiny teeth that grip the metal which make cutting easier. Depending on which side the lower vs. upper blade is on, they can cut left hand turns or right hand turns so work with that. I think a sturdy pair of kitchen shears would be enough.

Someone else mentioned cutting in about an inch in from the curve on the bottom which I think is an idea worth repeating. The bottom curve on the pot fits the shoulder in the SJ so the straightness of the cut is not critical. And have a file handy to take the sharp edge off the cut.
    18 1/2" WSM, 22 1/2" Mastertouch, 18 1/2" BBQ (?), SJS converted to mini-WSM, Platinum,
    Genesis Silver-A LP, Q 220, Lodge Sportsman, 26 3/4" Silver

TVWBB Olympian
    need to mark it well. then use a grinder with a cut off wheel or you can use a hack saw. shears will wrinkle the metal.
    George
    Can't live without spam

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pat Smith:

If your cutting out the bottom than a Roto-Zip or a Jigsaw with a metal blade will work.
    If your cutting along the side than an Angle Grinder with a metal cut-off wheel ( as George suggested ) or a Circular saw with a blade made to cut Aluminum siding will work ( or you can just flip an 18 - 24 T blade backwards, and get the same results )
    Another option is calling a Sheet Metal or Auto body shop.
    Seems it might be cheaper than driving 2 hours, or buying a tool that you might not have.
    Good luck with your mod!!

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Wizard
    I think you're right. I can visit with Chris and maybe eat some BBQ!

Thanks!

Pat
    PFSmith
    WSMs, OTS & G, Performer, Q 220, Char Q, SJP, Genesis Silver B - general Weber apologist - a Kamado Joe, couple BGE's, Vermont Castings Gasser and a Traeger Pellet Pooper

"Grilling is a religious experience; smoking is a spiritual retrea

TVWBB Pro
    Received my tamale cooker from Target today. Looks like it will make a pretty nice fit. Tomorrow is the big day.

My question is: How close together can I position extra racks?

This thing would be perfect to fill up with ABT's, Fatties, MOINK, wings, and other delicious snacks while the big grill is full of larger cuts.

I would love to fit 4 racks, but that might be a little too tight.

Think it is possible?
    22.5 WSM, Red SS Performer, 22.5 OTS, 22.5 Red 70's Kettle, mini wsm, SJS

Here is the system that worked well for me. The key is marking a straight line around the pot where your cut line will be. I have a nice compass that I inserted a pencil upside down in one arm. The pencil eraser follows around in the channel of the pot nicely so that I could have the other compass arm scribe a scratch line 1.25 inches beneath the point where the channel's low side rises up to meet the outside perimeter of the pot.

Next take a drill and make a hole in the side of the pot at the bottom most point. Then insert the tip of a straight cutting aviation snips into the hole and remove the very bottom of the pot. This will allow the remaining material to come away more freely when you cut further up on the scribe line made earlier.

For your second cut maneuver your snips onto the scribe line but make sure not to cut all the way to the snips tip or there will be jagged edges left behind. Just cut 3/4 of the way up the snips blades. You will come out with an extremely precise straight line that will seat squarely inside the SJ. Make sure to file down the edges of the cut to smooth it out.

One bit of advice is that I will not be using a clay pot again as a water pan and drip catcher. I picked up an 11 inch by 4 inch stainless steel dog water bowl at target yesterday for $7.50 that I will be using. I just insert the SJ grate down to the bottom of the steamer insert and place the foil lined dog bowl on top of it. Then I lay a second grill on top of the bowl which leaves 6 inches to the top edge of the steamer pot.

Good luck.

TVWBB Pro
    Originally posted by Ernie D:
    Received my tamale cooker from Target today. Looks like it will make a pretty nice fit. Tomorrow is the big day.

My question is: How close together can I position extra racks?

This thing would be perfect to fill up with ATB's, Fatties, MOINK, wings, and other delicious snacks while the big grill is full of larger cuts.

I would love to fit 4 racks, but that might be a little too tight.

Think it is possible?
    Hi Ernie,
    The 14" weber grills are a snug fit in the pot I have. That means I can use a pretty small screw to support them. With a short screw, it does not take much swing to clear the screw for the next rack up when placing or removing racks. I think if you chose sufficiently small fasteners as rack supports, you would be able to fit 4.
    18 1/2" WSM, 22 1/2" Mastertouch, 18 1/2" BBQ (?), SJS converted to mini-WSM, Platinum,
    Genesis Silver-A LP, Q 220, Lodge Sportsman, 26 3/4" Silver

TVWBB Olympian
    or maybe hang a bunch of racks off of a top gril with small chains so you just have to support the top grill. pull up the top grate and they all come out.
    George
    Can't live without spam

Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast