Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

TVWBB Olympian
    well, not sure but thats the reason for the tallness. most folks use the upper grate in the wsm first. its smokier up there and i suppose that the heat is more consistant ? otherwise you don't need the tall pot. look at all the other ones that were done. course if yer happy then thats what counts.
    George
    Can't live without spam

TVWBB Pro
    Hi LDean,
    Thanks again for the suggestions.

Originally posted by LDean:
    Walter:
    Looks good. Something you may want to try is a ceramic planter base, instead of the water pan. I found it easier and less messy, temps are easy to controll and uses less charcoal. I installed my hangers 7.25 inches from the top, set the foiled planter base on the hangers, then the cooking grate set directly on top of the planter base.
    I've heard the planter base mentioned numerous times, but I'm unclear about exactly what it is. Are we talking about the clay saucer normally put under a flower pot?
    A tip for those considering making the barrel out of the tamale steamer. I used a skill saw with a metal cutting blade. When cutting the bottom out, make the cut about 3/4 inch from the bottom edge,instead of near the bottom rim, as it makes it stiffer.
    I agree! This is pretty thin metal. If you have some snips (like aviation snips) that would probably be better yet.

best,
    walt
    18 1/2" WSM, 22 1/2" Mastertouch, 18 1/2" BBQ (?), SJS converted to mini-WSM, Platinum,
    Genesis Silver-A LP, Q 220, Lodge Sportsman, 26 3/4" Silver

TVWBB Member
    Walt:
    The planter base I used is 12" in diameter, used as the base for large teracotta flower pots, available at garden centers, Home depot, etc. They come in glazed and unglazed, I used the glazed, deep enough to catch fat from chicken or pork. Foil wrap the planter base to avoid a mess. Initially, I used spacers between the base and the cooking grill, but have found it is unnecessary, just set the grill on top of the planter base, held by the hangers. I smoked a 4.5lb pork loin last weekend, slathered with mustard, applied rub, smoked cooked at 275 with 2 small chunks of red oak for about 3.5 hours for an internal temp of 160. Turned out great, very moist. I usually smoke single large chickens, marinated in italian dressing, at 300 degrees. I always use the minion method, about 25% lit, using about 2/3rds of a chimney.

LDW

TVWBB Member
    Man... if I could only find that Tamale cooker here... fricken Canada doesn't really eat Mexican cuisine.
    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Would a 1 1/2 inch deep by 10 inches wide stainless steel puppy litter dish hold enough water or do I need something deeper and/or wider? Also is there an optimum distance between the bottom of the water bowl and where the grill grate would normally be positioned on the Smokey Joe?

TVWBB Pro
    Originally posted by Kurt JP:
    Would a 1 1/2 inch deep by 10 inches wide stainless steel puppy litter dish hold enough water or do I need something deeper and/or wider? Also is there an optimum distance between the bottom of the water bowl and where the grill grate would normally be positioned on the Smokey Joe?
    Hi Kurt,
    That's about the size of the pan I'm using. Mine might be a little deeper. The only difference is that the water might boil off sooner. You can deal with that with better temp control or adding more water.

My grill grate sits on the top edge of the 1 1/2" angle brackets that support the water dish. I plan to install 2" angle brackets because it is possible for the water pan to slip off. It sits a bit low - just above the coals. That will bring the grate higher unless I bend the tabs up to raise the water bowl (which I plan to do.)

I've purchased a second grate to mount higher in the middle section, just like the real WSMs.

I would not obsess about dimensions as long as sufficient clearance is left for some air flow.

Edit: Just to be clear - the lower grate no longer sits in the bottom bowl. That would not allow space for the water bowl. It sits near the bottom of the middle section.

HTH,
    walt
    18 1/2" WSM, 22 1/2" Mastertouch, 18 1/2" BBQ (?), SJS converted to mini-WSM, Platinum,

TVWBB Olympian
    i don't see a need to use water at all.
    George
    Can't live without spam

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the help. In making my Mini Smoker it appears I took more material off the bottom of my steamer pan than what you did as depicted in your very helpful pictures. When I place the steamer pan in the SJ there is a 1/4-inch reveal between the top edge of the SJ bowl and the lowest point or edge of the steamerís indentation for the false bottom. In the pictures of your Mini there appears to be about one inch of reveal.

Iím now hoping to be able to place an 11 1/2 inch wide x 1 3/4 inch deep glazed ceramic flowerpot base pan directly on the SJ grill grate which would be supported by the steamerís false bottom. The grill grate would therefore be 5 ĺ inches above the charcoal grate. I would then rest a second SJ grill grate on top of the foil wrapped ceramic base pan. I wouldnít have any reservations about removing up to an additional ĺ inch more off the bottom of the steamer pan so as to lower the grill grate that much closer to the charcoal grate if needed. I guess Iím trying to get away without using hanger brackets. Do you think this setup has a chance? Iím waiting for Weber to deliver a 9815 replacement thermometer to insert through the lid, so I canít try it before then. BTW, Iím really looking forward to my first smoke.

TVWBB Pro
    Originally posted by Kurt JP:
    Hi Walter,

Thanks for the help. In making my Mini Smoker it appears I took more material off the bottom of my steamer pan than what you did as depicted in your very helpful pictures. When I place the steamer pan in the SJ there is a 1/4-inch reveal between the top edge of the SJ bowl and the lowest point or edge of the steamerís indentation for the false bottom. In the pictures of your Mini there appears to be about one inch of reveal.
    I cut near the bottom edge of the curve. Someone else suggested going inboard from that point leaving IIRC about an inch or so of the flat bottom in place. Probably a good idea. My goal was to have the curved portion sit on the ridge in the bottom bowl for a seal and it does that.

Iím now hoping to be able to place an 11 1/2 inch wide x 1 3/4 inch deep glazed ceramic flowerpot base pan directly on the SJ grill grate which would be supported by the steamerís false bottom. The grill grate would therefore be 5 ĺ inches above the charcoal grate. I would then rest a second SJ grill grate on top of the foil wrapped ceramic base pan. I wouldnít have any reservations about removing up to an additional ĺ inch more off the bottom of the steamer pan so as to lower the grill grate that much closer to the charcoal grate if needed. I guess Iím trying to get away without using hanger brackets. Do you think this setup has a chance? Iím waiting for Weber to deliver a 9815 replacement thermometer to insert through the lid, so I canít try it before then. BTW, Iím really looking forward to my first smoke.
    I'm trying to picture this. I think grill grate (cooking surface) on top of the ceramic base is fine. 5 3/4 space between charcoal grate and bottom of ceramic should be good to. I think I have less, and wonder if it is enough to allow space for air to get to charcoal.

Are you using the false bottom or Weber grills to support things? My concern with the aluminum false bottom supplied with the pot is that it would not permit sufficient flow. It's not clear to me that is what you describe, but that is the only aspect of your plans that would concern me.

I hope you get your thermometer soon! I can't imagine tight temperature control w/out one, though I would probably have a go at this and try to maintain just enough heat to boil water in the pan. (Oh... probably not doing that...) You could just do chicken and know that a little extra temperature won't hurt it at all.

Glad to help,
    -walt

[QUOTE]
    "Are you using the false bottom or Weber grills to support things?"

Walt - I see now how I wasn't clear. I replaced the aluminum bottom supplied with the pot with a SJ grill grate which rests on the pot's inner rim or what I was unclearly calling the false bottom , but thanks for checking on that. I appreciate all the help. Hopefully I'll have some good eats to report soon. If I get a chance before the thermometer arrives, I'll try that chicken suggestion.

Kurt

Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast