Smoke Shack enclosures?

bryan baker

TVWBB Member
I am wanting some kind of protection for my two Weber's when I am doing a smoke. I am thinking about trying one of These but not sure what the heat might do to it.

Has anyone used this type of enclosure? I am sure I would have to ventilate it properly but it would also be good just to throw a lock on it and not worry about my stuff coming up missing.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
icon_smile.gif

Being only 52" wide, it might be a bit cramped in there, especially if you had to take the lids off.

If you had to put the cookers to one side to give yourself room to get in there with them, they'd be pretty close to the walls.

Being a Rubber Maid outdoor product, I'd assume it's made of substantial plastic and I wouldn't think the heat would be problem unless the cookers were touching the walls.

Of course, they also have metallic sheds a little larger that would work well.

Regardless, you'll need some kind of lighting inside there.

Thanks Travis... It's more deep than it is long. Our local lowes has one but the door is screwed shut. I may go down there with my lids and my metal pan that I sit the lids on when they are off the cookers and see how much room I have to work with. I already have concrete pavers to cover the floor. I'm tired of trying to plan my long cooks around the weather. I usually have a small window to get them done in and wind and or rain has given me fits in the past. Also would like to have shelves in there where I can leave the stoker and various odds and ends so I don't have to hunt them down every cook.

I also thought about building a shed out of barn lumber but I live in suburbia and the neighborhood association may have a fit over one of those.

Just fishing for ideas.

Thanks again,
Bryan

You should be fine Bryan.
Those sheds are made with FRP or Fiberglass Reinforced Panels. I use FRP or CRT ( ceramic tile ) for the cook lines at restaurants all the time. So I really don't see a problem with what your trying to do.
An inch or two airspace between the walls should be fine IMO.
But I would definitely worry about proper fresh air intake and an exhaust to get rid of CO2 fumes!

Tim

A powered roof exhaust..Yes ?
A passive one wouldn't be safe at all IMO, with both of your smokers going with the doors closed in that small of an enclosure.
Best to get a CO2 detector installed inside, than open your doors, and wait till you get a safe reading.
You have to remember that CO2 is heavier and it likes to lay lower to the floor. You need to match your fresh air or combustible air intake to equal your exhaust.
HTH

Tim

I think you mean a CO detector. Carbon monoxide is a real concern with charcoal burned indoors. Timothy is right about the fumes being heavier than air and there will need to be a powered vent out of the bottom as well. In my opinion, a shed should be considered "indoors", and frankly looks like a deathtrap.

Thanks for the info guys. Most definately powered vents. But have decided not to go this route. Just not much bang for the buck. I am going to save my money and build a bigger deck with a roof on it and have one corner with some kind of wind break. For now I will put a lean to type canopy up over my existing deck. You can see them here. Canopy.

Cheers.
icon_smile.gif

Bryan

Nice!

But ... uh ... aren't those 16" stepping stones a bit overkill? I can only imagine what they're doing to the deck surface.

Hmmmm ... how about a couple of BBQ mats with a few firebrick splits directly under the heat deflectors? Or another layer of deck boards?

I'm trying to justify a new and larger deck with a roof
icon_smile.gif
so the old deck surface isn't a big issue. I also like having the extra area when the lump starts popping in the chimney. When it comes to maybe burning down the house. A little overkill is not a bad thing me thinks.
icon_smile.gif

I use 4 12x12 concrete pads as well underneath the WSM on the deck. Only there when I'm smoking. When no smoking, the WSM comes inside and the pads get moved off the deck. I also use one concrete pad to start the chimney.

Okay folks listen up--I teach seminars on CO poisonings. It is not heavier than air ...if specific gravity of air is 1.0 CO is .99. Get it? Almost no difference.

Let me tell you that CO is absorbed by your lungs a 200 times more then oxygen will be absorbed. You can be poisoned in less than 20 seconds and not even know what hit you--you will be on the floor and blue. It is ODORLESS.

I had a case on Lake Powell, a gal called her daughter over to the swim platform of a houseboat with the generator running just to put some sunscreen on her nose. It took mom less than 15 seconds to do that--the little girl, turned, swam away 3 feet and disappeared under the water--this ended badly.

Please do NOT mess around with CO. It will KILL you much faster than you think. ALWAYS BELIEVE A CO DETECTOR!!!

Back