Out of gas - what to do?

Brett Grant

TVWBB Fan
A little bit of a rhetorical question. Last weekend, I was grilling and ran out of gas. Not really a big deal, I just fired up the charcoal grill
icon_smile.gif

Anyway, my internal debate is whether I should get a second tank, or just continue with one? I haven't had the grill too long, but it seems like I go through a tank every couple of months.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Brett

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I go through a tank every couple of months.

Any opinions?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you need to grill more often and buy a backup tank.
icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, you will be bummed one morning you go outside and realize you left some burners on all night and drained your tank... if you only have one, it can ruin your plans. And it happens to us all eventually.

I personally hate getting propane. I even have a convenient dispensary right around the corner from my house with very reasonable hours. I still have three tanks just to avoid the hassle a little longer.

Here in AZ, they charge less for 10 gallons or more. As I only have one tank, I don't know for sure, but I bet that with two tanks, I wouldn't get a break because they only fill them to 4ish.

So I would really need to get three additional tanks
icon_smile.gif
My wife will love that
icon_rolleyes.gif

Actually I am slightly concerned about storing them here in the AZ heat.

I've never exchanged, I just get them filled. Any opinions on exchange vs. filling?

Brett

Brett,been there done that! We have very limited storage at our house,so another tank is not an option for me. But,there is a place I could walk to if need be to swap my tank. There are several plaes around to swap tanks,or I can drive 5 -10 minutes to fill them. If I run out during a cook,I'll go swap the tank. If I happen to notice that I need gas before I start to cook,I'll go fill it. I've found that filling th tank gives me more gas. I think there was a thread a while back that said the swap companies were putting a little less in the tanks to keep costs down.

I have a spare tank on hand all of the time. My experience is the tanks run out on a Sunday or Holiday when you can't get it filled. therefore, a spare is always on hand.

U-haul centers are open to give u a fill everyday but christmas. Thanksgiving they close at 3pm. Pay at the pump service and ask for your fill-and-grill discount $1/tank off.

Over 11 gallons - 3 tanks = bulk pricing.

I'm with the spare tank on hand group. The main reason I keep one on hand is for the convience to be able to just swap one out whenever the other one runs out. The other benefit is due to the way I buy fuel and the way they sell it. I won't do the swap because I believe they over charge for the amount of fuel they put in. Therefore I started going to a fill station near me. The problem is that they started charging by the tank. They will fill the tank for $X (if forget the exact price), so if it's not fully empty, then I don't get my money's worth. I wish they'd go back to charging by the gallon then I wouldn't feel the need to run the tank all the way down. Either way, a second tank is the way to go.

Oddly enough I bought a spare tank because I'm cheap. I like to use every last bit of propane I can. One day I ran out of gas in the middle of a cook and had to finish inside on the stove. Now I have a backup so when I run out I just hook up the other tank.

Jerry,the closest place to fill my tank charges by the tank,so it's the same whether it's empty or almost empty. There is a Tractor Supply that fills and charges by weight. They are about 10 minutes up the road from here AND it usually costs less than the closer place,so I have to choose,closer,and costs more,but less gas for the truck or further away,more gas but less money for the propane!

If you want a back-up, but storage space is minimal, think about getting a refillable 5-pounder. It has the same, standard quick-connect fittings on it.

I have one that we use for our camp stove - but It will hold me for a few cooks when my main tank runs out. (Then, I usually get BOTH re-filled when I get the chance.)

Then again, I also have a full-size (but presently empty) back-up tank from my old gasser. Next time I fill-up, I will have (3) tanks, which will hold me for about a year.

If you're worried about storage, try to find a shady spot that is not against your house (detached garage or shed?). Keep the tank covered and off the ground if it will be kept outside, and you should not need to worry too much.

With my Q-grill I have a disposable cylinder on hand just in case.
There is also a fitting called "The Steak Saver" that will connect a disposable to your grill. You will probably need to reduce to one burner when finishing your cooking.
Steak saver

Back