Go-to method for steak

Jamie Mathews

TVWBB Member
Jamie, I'm pretty new to this, and one of the intimidating things is that if I ask the same question to 10 experienced grillers, I get 14 different responses.

Anyway, what do you think is the surest way to get a good-tasting steak? Let's say you have ribeyes that are 1 inch thick...some here cook direct high heat the whole time, some advocate the sear-n-slide, some do the reverse sear (indirect then sear at the end), some guys put the steak right in the charcoal...

I hear you, Jamie. It seems like EVERYbody has THE perfect recipe. What are you supposed to believe? I say, keep it simple. Buy some nicely marbled rib eye steaks about 1 inch thick. Brush them really lightly with olive oil. Season them generously with kosher salt and black pepper. Let the sit on the counter for 20 minutes while you get the grill ready. Grill them over direct high heat (about 500F) for 7 to 8 minutes, turning them once or twice. Serve them to friends and family. Pat yourself on the back for some great steaks. Then you can start think about all the ways you might tweak the recipe or technique and all the advice you will give people about THE perfect way to grill a steak.

Back