SUCCESS!!! Hats off to you, Weber Summit!

Joe Ciaravino

So far, I have been completely happy with my 2004 natural gas model, Summit Silver C. It starts easily, develops blisteringly hot lid temps in excess of 500 degrees quickly, grills evenly and creates very nice grill marks. The stainless grates clean up easily, too. IMHO, the "new for 2005" solid wire SS grates would probably leave marginally bolder grill marks, but do not justify the significant premium. And finally, I find the side burner handy for heating sauces and side dishes, and use it most of the times I am grilling. I expected all of this, and I got it. Best damn grill that I have ever owned, by far!
Up until yesterday, I have used it for direct cooking (grilling) steaks, chops, fish, vegetables, etc. Yesterday came the true test. The acid test, and confirmation that I made a wise choice in deciding to spend the extra money for the built in smoker box. Yesterday was the day that I cooked the famous BRITU ribs, shown on this website.
Success!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
They were delicious. Perfectly mahogany in color, juicy, and "fall off the bone" tender. Had a very distinct smoke flavor, too. No doubt about it
First, a word of caution for the inexperienced. Trying to duplicate WSM results on a gasser is possible, BUT IT DOES REQUIRE MUCH MORE ATTENTION. You really shouldn't walk away from your cook for more than 20 minutes at a time. I expected this after learning about the design differences between the two appliances. Now, the cook.
Yesterday was an 80 degree day, with an occasional very light breeze. I was cooking with the Weber in full sun. The hickory chunks were soaked for a full day, and added to the smoker box 2 at a time, about every 1 1/4 hours. The smoker flame was kept at its lowest setting throughout the cook. The heavy smoke will dissipate after about 1/2 hour, but the charred remains in the smoker box will continue to emit a very distinct hickory smell long after the smoke clears. I used indirect heat, some foil under the two racks of ribs, and an aluminum tray filled with water/beer over the lit burner(s). Water needed filling about every 1 1/2 - 2 hours. I kept the lid temp at 275 as opposed to the recommended 225 because I could see very little cooking after the first hour. I maintained this temp throughout the cook by adjusting the heat on 2 of the main burners, while leaving the smoker flame as described above. I turned the ribs after 3 hours, and cooked for 1 more hour. Sauced as per the recipe. Heaven!
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

Joe

Back