Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 can apple pie filling (chop up the big chunks some)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. :) This is my standard for baked beans anymore.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

Keri C, Hot Wire BBQ (formerly Smokin' on Tulsa Time)
_____

Lately, I've been using two of the 28-oz cans of Bush's Original Baked Beans - I think I'm going to try it with the new Honey variety next. Happier with the results with these. -kc

Another update... Jack's Old South does something similar to this, but I understand that they use peach pie filling instead.

Update 9-8-2012: if the pie filling is a bit sweet for your taste, try peeling and diced two Gala apples, and saute them in the bacon grease with the onion and green pepper. Increase the brown sugar by about 2 Tbs, and add a dash of cinnamon if you're so inclined.

Last edited:
Keri, I want to thank you for this recipe. I have made it 3 times so far and so far I have had at least a half a dozen people tell me they are the best beans they have ever had. Also my wife and I are not real baked bean fanatics but you have changed our outlook on that also.

Everybody should try this recipe at least once. You won't go wrong.

Thanks again I will be making this many more times in the future. I make ribs for a friend of mine every couple of weeks. He tried the beans and said that he wants beans the next time he gets ribs.

A couple variations I did is I smoked them for 3 hours and I used ground beef several times because I had a freezer full that I needed to get rid of. I had a side of beef coming and still had some left from last years.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

You're just more than welcome, Jeff. We've had a lot of fun with this recipe. We made a turkey-fryer full for People's Choice at Art of Barbecue last year, and people were going after them great guns along with the brisket and pork. People from other teams were even coming down to try them out.
icon_smile.gif

Enjoy - Keri C

Here is a dumb question for you. What size can of apple pie filling should one use in this recipe? We have a local market here that has 20 oz cans of apple, which seems to be huge, but smaller cans of other fruits. I could have drove to a supermarket but figured that I can just guess at it tonight. I guess 20 oz is too much. lol
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Here is a dumb question for you. What size can of apple pie filling should one use in this recipe? We have a local market here that has 20 oz cans of apple, which seems to be huge, but smaller cans of other fruits. I could have drove to a supermarket but figured that I can just guess at it tonight. I guess 20 oz is too much. lol
icon_smile.gif
Dale, I was wondering the same thing. I just picked up everything to make these and want to be sure about the 32 oz of beans to one can of Lucky Leaf Apple pie filling 21 oz can.
icon_redface.gif

I made them useing the whole 20 oz of pie filling. Excellent beans. My wife said we are taking these to our next pot luck dinner. I didnt have any "Blues hog" so I used some of "Marks Feed Store Sauce" and it worked well. What did you do Bryan?
Thanks Keri.

Originally posted by Dale Perry:
I made them useing the whole 20 oz of pie filling. Excellent beans. My wife said we are taking these to our next pot luck dinner. I didnt have any "Blues hog" so I used some of "Marks Feed Store Sauce" and it worked well. What did you do Bryan?
Thanks Keri.
Dale, I'm making them tonight along with 2 briskets to take to work tomarrow. I'll be using Blue's Hog sauce and rub since i have both on hand. Thanks for the info on the can size for the pie filling.
icon_smile.gif

One more thing, I sprinkled my portion with extra cayenne so you might want to consider taking some with you for the pepper fans. Kids and wife thought they were hot enough without, but I like it hot.

Keri, Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. All the guys at worked loved them. They were fantastic and send their thanks to you also.
icon_smile.gif

I made these beans for Mother's Day along with a low country boil and they were incredible. I gotta give you props Keri because I don't even like baked beans and you won me over. I liked em so much I even brought them for work today. Thanks for the recipe.

I made these for a potluck dinner like I said I would. One thing that I did was to run a knife in the can to chop the apples up so folks would have a harder time picking out the flavors. I heard a lot of people asking around about who made them. Thanks again Keri, this recipe is a winner.

Dale, sorta did the same thing. Everyone loved the beans. If I was going to do it again I may run it through a blender to get it real fine. I'm the only one who had problems with it. I couldn't get used to the idea of apples in beans.

These beans were a hit here, too. I cut up the apples smaller as well. I also added another can of beans-it just didn't seem like enough otherwise.
Thanks, Keri.

Gang, if you haven't tried these beans, do so soon! Keri, these beans are just awesome!

I used a medium heat fatty that I cooked along with tonight's brisket for the meat in the recipe, and since the fatty was medium, I cut the chipotle powder in half, and the beans were still a little bit hot for my wife, but my daughter and I loved the heat!

Here's a picture...

IMG_1166.jpg

Keri, right on! Tried them first time last weekend and what a hit!!!!! I added another can of beans, seemed to be a lot of apple otherwise.
thanks for the recipe!

I know it seems like a lot apples but I make them by the recipe and love them. There is a lot of liquid in the apples and they shrink some when cooked. I am sure they were good either way. Just making the comment that going by the recipe isn't too many apples.

Made it for a gathering/cookout with people I didn't know well at all before the night began and they loved these beans. They helped to make a nice impression. I used different BBQ sauce off the shelf (I think it was a "Jack Daniels" variety) and a regular store bought rub but followed the recipe exactly otherwise...don't worry about the amount of apples to beans...it does have a little heat which my family loves...my son eagerly finished off the couple spoonfuls that were left...turned out fantastic.

2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained

Please pardon my ignorance, but does this mean 2x16 ounces or 2x8 ounces? And are there any suggested brands?

Also, is my instinct correct that making these the day before they are eaten would be a good idea?

Pat

Please pardon my ignorance, but does this mean 2x16 ounces or 2x8 ounces? And are there any suggested brands?

Also, is my instinct correct that making these the day before they are eaten would be a good idea
It means 2 16oz cans of beans for a total of 32oz. I used this recipe for the first time last week with some smoked chicken, everyone who had them commented on how good they were. I used Bushes baked beans instead of pork and beans and I felt they were excellent. Thanks for the recipe Keri!!

Back