Tar build up on temp guage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom J.

TVWBB Member
Hey guys, I have temperature guages that are mounted in my WSM and they have smoke & tar build-up on the probe that's inside the lid, have you found that this build-up effects the accuracy of the temp. reading and if so should I clean the build up off from time to time.

Hi Tom, intresting question. I have had two therms mounted in my WSM for two years now with no problems. I will be waiting to hear what others have to say.

Chach

I recall some discussion about this and the consensus was it does not have an effect on the reading unless the build-up was on the point of the probe. I have used some comet and cleaned the probe of my Weber therms that are in other grills, just because they looked like they need it and they still work.

Paul

It will have no effect on accuracy, however, if the "coat" gets think enough, it could slow the reaction.

It would be just like a piece of meat...the heat would have to "penatrate" the coating...but once it did...it would still be accurate.

i have a silver A and a WSM and boththermometers have some build up on them...however with the WSM i have some build up on the outside of one of the vents...yuck.. thats when i just rested the thermometer on the outside now i have my polder all the way inside just dangeling...

Good question Tom and good answer Chris. I'm going to have to take a look at mine tonight. I cleaned it once last year and haven't bothered to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back