'Flavored' pizza dough?

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
I made a batch of dough last night that's flavored with fresh rosemary and powdered garlic and onion. Plan to try it out this weekend. Anyone else try this or something similar? I wouldn't think this should affect the dough other than from a flavoring aspect, or am I wrong?

Paul

I do that frequently with bread, less so with pizza, but there is no reason you cannot do so. If you are tossing a super thin, cracker-like crust, herbs and other additions can make the dough more likely to rip, but if you are doing a typical pizza thickness, or even NY style, then you shouldn't have any problems with it. You can minimize that tendency by finely mincing any fresh herbs and using granulated garlic and onion rather than anything bigger.

I love bread with fresh rosemary and sun-dried tomatoes.

Paul, I add stuff when making Focaccia. Never used any spices in my pizza dough. As David said, powders and such should be no problem. I'll add that some nice roasted garlic (mashed) and fine dice caramelized onions would work very well in your pizza (reg or pan) dough. The next time I make up some Focaccia I'm going to be using some.
icon_smile.gif

Paul, I do a NEOPOLITAN-STYLE PIZZA with a 66% hydration dough. To a recipe with 3 1/2 cups (17.6 oz, 500 g) Harvest King flour, I add 1 teaspoon finely minced rosemary and 1/4 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano. Sometimes I add some grated Parmesan cheese too. These can be adjusted to taste. I think the sundried tomatoes would be fun to try as well.

Some spices will speed up the fermentation a bit but I wouldn't worry about it here.

Rita

Correction: Some spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, will slow down the fermentation because they are toxic to yeast, but you'd have to have a pretty high percentage in the dough, so generally it is not an issue. Onions and garlic will increase the extensibility of the dough.

Rita,
Just for future reference... What "spices" might speed up the fermentation process? Thanks....
I've done many a pizza dough's with "smoke" dried tomatoes and it's incredible!

I almost never make pizza dough plain. I usually use a combination of fresh and dried herbs or just fresh, depending on what I have. (I don't make 'pizza sauce' though, nor any sort of tomato sauce for pizza.)

The dough turned out great. There was a hint of rosemary, but couldn't really notice much garlic or onion. Of course my sauce had garlic and onion in it as well as fresh onion on the pie itself. Bottom line, I'll probably skip the onion and garlic powder in the future as it is redundant (sauce, toppings, etc.) I've got oregano and basil coming up in the garden now that I can add next time.

Kevin, when you say you don't make pizza sauce, are you saying you don't use one at all or 'gasp' you use a commercial product? I frequently will skip a tomato sauce and use pesto or go with a classic margarita as I generally prefer a veggie style anyway.

Back