Canadian Bacon in the Works

Bill Hays

TVWBB Platinum Member
Was gonna do this yesterday but the ice storm had me afraid of power loss during the day. 2" of sleet and freezing rain covered by an inch of wet snow at the end last night.

32º now with 10-15 mph winds from the West today ~ Good day for outdoor cookin'.
icon_cool.gif

Bill

Just added 2nd pan of smoke wood. 1st was hickory only, this is a hickory/cherry mix. Loins are gettin' some color.
icon_smile.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Managed to get belly yesterday but not loin. As it happened, I leave tonight anyway so both will have to wait.

Good color there Bill!

Thanks guys. Larry, on it's way. Jim, that's the only non-Weber outdoor cooking contraption I have.
icon_razz.gif

1st loin half that was heavily trimmed came off at 142º. Here it is blooming after it's water bath to cool it down. Others are at 133º.

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Great job Bill! I live closer than Larry so it will be cheaper for you to send some to me! How do you keep that smoker so clean?

Looks great Bill and thanks for the pics. Did you follow Rytek in the drying at a low temp for X amount of time before adding the smoke? This is how I do my bacon as well, was just wondering.
icon_cool.gif
My guess is he did that because of the quantity of meat he was smoking instead of how the book Charcuterie says to dry for 12-24 in the fridge for us home smokers, small quantity.

Thanks. Bryan, I followed Rytek's cure/brine verbatum (25 lbs) but used Dave Witt's instructions. Rinsed and scrubbed the loins, patted dry, then in the smoker at approx 130 - 140º for 4 hours with the damper wide open to allow the moisture to easily escape, then started the smoke process at 150º w/damper at 25%, slowly raising to between 160 and 170º. 2 pans of sawdust and let them ride until they hit 142/143º. Immersed in cold water to cool to 110º, then allowed to bloom until temps dropped to 80º or below, then in the fridge overnight.

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Dave (or Bill), I can't find your instructions for canadian bacon. Can you please post it or head me to the right direction? Thank you.

Erik

Back