Idiot Proof Smoker

John Ford

TVWBB Pro
My mini smoker is the easiest smoker ever! Load it up full with charcoal, add about 20 lit briquettes, open all vents wide open & it will run 8-9 hours on a load.it runs about 210 to 230 on a cold day & 220 to 255 on a warm day. Only disadvantage is if you want to cook at a higher temp, with my design you can't.
I've had a lot of experience with vertical smokers & this one is so easy I'm going to make one for my son.both from the ease of cooking & the fact you can leave it uncovered full of wet ashes ( which he will ) without rusting out.

d0e020f8.jpg

John,

I am right with you man. A typical cook goes like this:

1. Season my meat up the day before.
2. When I am ready to cook, I light my half 1/3 chimney of coals.
3. Dump the cooking bricquets and wood into the base.
4. Take the main section IN THE HOUSE!!! and load it up with the meat.
5. Take loaded up midsection outside.
6. Dump the hot coals on the unlit.
7. Assemble the smoker.
8. Come back in 6-8 hours.

NO NEED TO CHECK OR BABY SIT. TEMPS STAY ROCK SOLID THE ENTIRE TIME...

Jay

Yeah guys, sorry but I am sorta lazy.
icon_smile.gif

With the Gold the fire stays lit, (no constant checking)

The clean up is really easy. (Put a plastic bag on the top of the base, and then flip it. Grill is clean.)

With the silver I had to keep going by and moving the bottom air vents to unclog them. It also seemed like I needed to add fuel and tend to the fire more with the silver.

I use stubbs briquettes and the ash is reasonable...

Jay

Jay

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
have you triend the "can" mod for the ash problem on the silver? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I haven't. I don't doubt that it works, and works well as it keeps the ash away from the hole. I got a deal on a used SJG and never looked back.

But the gold just really makes it simple. I can't wait to hear back from you on the difference.

So your saying that wide open only takes you to 233 to 250?

You only used 20 lit coals?

Hmm, this worries me. I have a pie tin, not a saucer, so i assume your using a saucer and not a tin.

So what would wide open with 20 lit coals do to some one with no saucer but rather a pie tin?

thanks

matt

I haven't had the chance to do a long smoke on mine yet, but I am really looking forward to doing a Butt on my mini-WSM. (We call it the "Mini-Minion)I just painted mine this afternoon, really pleasede with how it turned out.
100_0093.jpg

Tim
SJG Mini-Minion-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt T:
So your saying that wide open only takes you to 233 to 250?

You only used 20 lit coals?

Hmm, this worries me. I have a pie tin, not a saucer, so i assume your using a saucer and not a tin.

So what would wide open with 20 lit coals do to some one with no saucer but rather a pie tin?

thanks

matt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt what's your worry? Too hot, not hot enough. No matter what I do, the temp is pretty much between 200-270.

I have done the following difuser methods:

Clay pot
Partial bottom with brick
Bottom wrack covered with aluminum with holes poked into it.
And NO difuser

All scenarios kept the heat below 300 degrees...

This should be reassuring if anything, because you know you won't have to deal with flare-ups, and if the temps drop much lower you ran out of fuel.

250 degree cooking this is the perfect smoker... you need higher heat use the kettle. You need to cook more food?? Make two...

Jay

Back