Maverick Probes

Derek Stapleton

TVWBB Super Fan
When placing the Maverick (or any other wired probes) into the WSM, what's the general practice: through the top vent (inconvenient if/when lifting lid), betwen the lid and body(possible damage to probe???) or through the access door?

All comments welcome.

Thanks

I am only on second smoke but found that as awkward as it is I run mine through the vent holes, since I dont take the lid off during cooking, i find it isnt to troublesome.

Derek, have installed metal eyelets in the side for the probes but I have also run them under the lid. I put the temp probe down through the top vent.

Well you can take one of the grate-holder screws out and run em thru there. I always have run them under the lid. No Problem so far.

I'm not sure why Weber has not done this to improve the WSM. They can easily put multiple holes on the sides and just provide caps on them if they are not being used. This way the consumer doesn't have to drill through and chip the enamel.

I think 2 holes near the top grate and 2 holes near the bottom grate would be sufficient.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Bordeaux:
I'm not sure why Weber has not done this to improve the WSM. They can easily put multiple holes on the sides and just provide caps on them if they are not being used. This way the consumer doesn't have to drill through and chip the enamel.

I think 2 holes near the top grate and 2 holes near the bottom grate would be sufficient. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, one at each level is fine as long as it's a 3/8" opening. It needs to be that to fit the Maverick probes anyway and I can get 3 - 4 probes through one hole.

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
Actually, one at each level is fine as long as it's a 3/8" opening. It needs to be that to fit the Maverick probes anyway and I can get 3 - 4 probes through one hole.
Rich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was originally thinking that too, but then it goes back to the old saying..."better to have it and not use it, then need to use it and not have it". The holes would come with caps anyways, so they could be capped if not in use.

Thanks everyone. Slipped the probes under the lid. No problem. Manufacturerd holes from Weber would be a nice touch. Still a great unit though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Derek Stapleton:
Thanks everyone. Slipped the probes under the lid. No problem. Manufacturerd holes from Weber would be a nice touch. Still a great unit though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
A cheap mod...

Thanks Stefan ... couldn't bear the thought of drilling that nice shiny porcelain
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tibor Roczo:
BBQ Guru sells the eyelets for the WSM for $9.45....if you are the lazy type guy...like myself..LOL..but your Maverick must be the Mav 73, not the new type (Mav.732)...the new type won't fit.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/sear...recommendation=76570 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah ... saw those ... was just going to pick up some eyelets at the hardware store - but I have the 732, so unless I drill some oversize holes, I'll be going under the lid.

Back