Chesapeake Bay crab cakes

Rich P

TVWBB Member
I am a HUGE fan of crab cakes being from MD and being on the water all my life. Theres some really good resteraunts around here that have some very good crab cakes and have always looked for something comparable and I have found it. A friend recently gave me this recipe its simple, clean, and fantastic! I will get some pics up I did mine pan fried on the stove but he does his in cast iron on the grill, once the crust forms he sits directly on grate indirect for a few minutes and then plates......Wow so good.

1 Egg beaten (i use egg beaters)
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup mayo
3/4 Tb old bay (any seafood seasoning is good but authentic old bay is best IMO)
1/2 Tsp lemon juice
1/2 Tsp Worcestershire
1/2 Tsp white pepper
1 LB Jumbo lump crab meat

Note: I use phillips jumbo lump at Costco its only 20$/lb and its like little golf balls and rarely get a shell and I dont even check for them. Its sweet and works perfect for crab cakes. You can use any crab meat you want regular lump has more shells which you can get easily if you shine a black light on the meat but it changes the texture which Im not a huge fan of. I like the texture of the huge chunks of jumbo lump.

Mix the wet with the dry then very gently fold in the crab, I do this by hand to try and not break up and crab hunks. Then I wet my hands to form the crab cakes as this mixture is sticky, I make four regular crab cakes, cover them with plastic wrap and refridgerate for roughly 20-30 minutes to firm them up. You know there made right if there hard to keep together..Then broil, fry, grill, smoke, whatever you like.... The grilled variety have a great flavor slightly different from the other methods obviosuly but such a nice change.

Enjoy.

Thanks Rich! I will be making these after my next trip to Costco when I get some lump crab for them. I love crab cakes. Thanks again my friend. Now, I saw a remoulade recipe here somewhere.

Plus 1 for the Phillip's crabmeat. We get it on sale at our local supermarket, about $12. Excellent!

Rich,

I wish we had a Cosco here. I have to pay $30 for a pound of jumbo lump Phillips at my Harris Teeter.

Ray

Rich, what restaurants do you like?

My recipe is basically mayo, spice and crab. No egg or breadcrumbs.

Back