Things not to do with your WSM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_B:
Don't clean the actually inside walls of it. Let that gunk build up! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't clean much at all where the sections/door fit together. However, if I have time while the coals are still warm, I'll take a wide plastic putty knife and reach in, going around and hitting the high spots on the inside wall. (Use a narrow one for the bowl after dumping the coals and ash.) I don't do it at the same time that I scrape the grates, though. If you get a burning plastic smell, the cooker's still too hot.
icon_biggrin.gif

Two others come to mind:

Don't drop the lid. It's heavy and will very easily bend under it's own weight.
icon_redface.gif

Also, per Harry Soo (Slap Yo Daddy), and from what I've heard others on bbq forums say, don't use your wsm for smoking fish on, unless that's your dedicated fish smoker. They say it takes a complete clean out of all the inside seasoning to get the smell out, so you don't want to be cooking anything else on it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Also, per Harry Soo (Slap Yo Daddy), and from what I've heard others on bbq forums say, don't use your wsm for smoking fish on, unless that's your dedicated fish smoker. They say it takes a complete clean out of all the inside seasoning to get the smell out, so you don't want to be cooking anything else on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good one, Dave (and Harry). I definitely don't want THAT!

I would add to not leave it out in the rain if at all possible -- shelter somehow. Or at least turn the center section upside down so it won't collect rain sliding down the side.

Also, be sure not to leave water inside. In a hot humid climate, it can help any "seasoning" to develop it's own obscene mold. It's definitely best to clean grates and water within a day after a cook, but leaving water inside can really make for an unpleasant surprise. (For routine cleaning, I like to do a quick scrape of the grates and then put them in my grill during the next pre-heat.)

Rich

I would have never thought about the fish thanks for the heads up. And cleaning he ashes and bowl right away.

Don't let your brother in law borrow it. You'll never get it back.

As noted above, rain will get in the cooker, even with the cover on (I put tent sealent on the seams, so it's now waterproof).

If a little water mixes at the bottom with ash, it can set up like concrete, but eventually works out.

As for as "Do's" check out the thread "how to install handles video" in the modifications board. It's the easiest and best first modification you can make.

Don't set your chimney starter on concrete when hot.

Don't lift lid to "peek" while cooking.

Don't leave lid off for very long if saucing or basting. It's amazing how fast the fire can build with unlimited oxygen.

Ryan, welcome to the forum.
Your topic may enlist a good deal of humorous responses. I can think of so many things not to do with your WSM. But since this is a family show, I will let the previous answers suffice.

Good smokin' to Ya

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Also, per Harry Soo (Slap Yo Daddy), and from what I've heard others on bbq forums say, don't use your wsm for smoking fish on, unless that's your dedicated fish smoker. They say it takes a complete clean out of all the inside seasoning to get the smell out, so you don't want to be cooking anything else on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's incredibly discouraging to learn. Just received my new WSM and assumed it would work for fish and any type of meat, etc. Wife is expecting smoked fish off this thing and if that is going to entail a bunch of monkey motion with cleanouts every time, this is not going to end well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne E.:

Wayne, simple solution to your woes. Just get a second WSM.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne E.:
That's incredibly discouraging to learn. Just received my new WSM and assumed it would work for fish and any type of meat, etc. Wife is expecting smoked fish off this thing and if that is going to entail a bunch of monkey motion with cleanouts every time, this is not going to end well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't done a ton of fish on mine - only salmon, actually. It's never been an issue though.

For Wayne: I have smoked salmon 3 times, and trout once, in my WSM. I did not clean it out after, and there has never been a fish taste on anything else I've cooked. Maybe if you smoked fish all the time it would be different. I'm sure others have had different experiences. Hope this helps.

Mike

Originally posted by M. Rollins:
For Wayne: I have smoked salmon 3 times, and trout once, in my WSM. I did not clean it out after, and there has never been a fish taste on anything else I've cooked. Maybe if you smoked fish all the time it would be different. I'm sure others have had different experiences. Hope this helps. [QUOTE/]Mike

Yeah, it helps to further murk up the waters.
icon_razz.gif
...No seriously, you're not the only one that has reported the same thing. It's just that I've noticed just as many folks say the exact opposite, namely the great Harry Soo, of Slap Yo Daddy BBQ fame...and I trust what the guy says.

The only thing I can think of regarding the apparent opposite observations is this:

If I had to smoke some catfish or salmon, if it was ME, I would make sure that all of the drippings ended up in the water pan, and not baked inside the bottom of the cooker. In other words, just use the center of the racks, and make sure they were well cleaned before my next cook.

I was just reporting what I'd read before, though, and the posts seemed credible enough, as does Mike's.

Ya know, I almost put in a disclaimer that I was in NO WAY disputing Harry Soo
icon_biggrin.gif
The man definitely has the credentials to back it up!!! I just felt bad thinking about poor Wayne having to explain to his wife that he couldn't smoke any salmon
icon_smile.gif

I think you are right on the money, Dave. I have no doubt that fish juices caked on the sides or bottom of the smoker would not bode well for some poor butt or brisky that came next. To clarify my (extremely limited) experiences, I have only done small batches at a time. And I went pretty light on the alder smoke. Not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks for the input, Dave. I always enjoy your posts!

Mike

Thanks for the replies on the fish deal. I'm not going to sweat it too much, but will try to keep fish near the center of the racks and clean the racks and pan when finished.

Back