hard work - rub for pork

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
I had PORK in mind all morning for this. 2 hrs. 15 min. worth of work this morning. I love texas bbq rub orig., but... love Kevins chili mixes... i've read ALOT, and try hard so lets see. Its ok to laugh also I do. I focust on smelling and tasting and did my damndest and somehow came up with this:
1C packed light brown sug.
1/8 C white sug.
1Tbl. garlic & onion pwdr.
.5 Tbl. chipolte chili
.5 Tbl. New mexican chili blend (? not to hot, found this at a store in the spanish section, I accedently destroyed the label and have now forgot what is exactly in this, but it smells great)
1 Tbl. Ancho
2 tsp. Smoked Paprika

1/2 Tbls. Thyme
1 tsp. majoram

1 1/2 Tbls. Black Pepper
1/2 White Pepper

1/2 tsp. Ginger
1/2 tsp. Cumin

Like I said this is actually hard for me (really) but heck I had fun. I mixed the sugar (Ive found I like sugar a lot more only w/ pork) and then the onion pwder. and smelled and tasted... then tasted the Texas blend and looked close etc... at that point not noticing much more then I expected but when I dropped the garlic pwdr thats all I tasted until the black and white pepper were added! so my first thought was maybe next time a bit less garlic. anyway (back up to the chilis w/ me) added the chilis all the while recalling loving the mix in the meto rub, but also loving the simplicity in the texas rub. What I mean is for me at least I just taste a nice, slightly strong, sweet flavor, and then the spice with the Texas blend... I wanted that + that great smell. I do not know whats in there in what amounts but i sure like it... anyway so came up with that mix of chilis to the best of my ability of taste, smell, memory of what each one individually taste like cooked, etc.
Then the herbs. This is pry dumb I know but I dont leave thyme out of much so just threw some in there cause i love it, I like oregano but was thinking I primarily wanted to taste SWEET+SPICE mostly so somehow decided on only a tsp. majoram. Again.. just following my nose and memory really not knowing what the hell im doin.

I thought ginger would have a little kick to add along side spices, as well as with cumin. The whole process im writing crap down and re-measuring and doing my best and mostly tasting and just decided that a 1/4 tsp. or small amounts of basicly anything wouldn't do me much good. I just dont know that Im the kind of guy that would notice. (could be wrong) anyway I stopped because with about 12 grains of Kosher (which I withheld) and twice that amount of rub on my tongue at once, seemed appealing to this unknowing fool
icon_wink.gif
I felt like, and hoped, I had gotton K's chili mix flavors but also the sweet+spice of the "Texas BBQ Blend Orig" all in one (hope that makes since) I cant help but like the red color of paprika though. Lastly I was mostly wandering about the garlic amount but that was about it. The very most final thought was "this is hard cause im gonna cook with this and at that point flavors in the chilis, etc. will likely change dramaticly." my whole point of this was i'de like to hear everones thoughts (what in my process and thinking makes since to you guys, and what doesn't? what have I done thats a good aproach and what did I do that may not be helpful to me, in finding what flavors I want, etc.) and most importantly i just never quite understood in reading my pile of books, looking over this website for probably over a year and all over the net etc. HOW THE HELL DO YOU GUYS MAKE THIS STUFF UP!!! this is hard work
icon_biggrin.gif
! thanks for the time, i'll try this either tonight or tomarrow on likely a simple set of baby backs to see what happens (no sauce for at least some). this yielded a bit less then 2 cups total. Would just like to hear your honest take/thoughts. Def. not going to make me feel bad or anything like that, I'm just kind of trying to learn and everything, thanks a lot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan H.:
Would just like to hear your honest take/thoughts. Def. not going to make me feel bad or anything like that, I'm just kind of trying to learn and everything, thanks a lot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I haven't tried the recipe yet but just wanted to say thanks for posting about the process. As someone with no imagination but great appreciation for good food this gives me a better idea how to approach learning this stuff. Like you, I am amazed by how easy some folks make this seem.

I'll try the recipe tomorrow once I pick up a couple of ingredients and something to smoke
icon_wink.gif

well thank you. I just think its one of those things. You should hear this little solo i wrote on the guitar yesterday... in other words, how can I understand something as NUTS as music theory and scales etc. and not exactly this.
icon_smile.gif
I also realize this is a little sweet, but seems lately I kind of like that (with pork, and also if its spicy enough), can always cut back

Back