Charbroiled Oysters (Drago's Restaurant - New Orleans)

Steven Savois

TVWBB Member
CHARBROILED OYSTERS

For over 100 years, some of the best oyster fishermen in Louisiana have been of Croatian origin. Many Croatians came to Louisiana and have been at the forefront of the oyster business; it's gotten to the point where if someone's serving you oysters and their surname ends with "-vich", you know you're in good hands.
Drago Cvitanovich has had an excellent restasurant in Metairie for years, and it's one of my parents' very favorite places to eat. Drago is famous for his Charbroiled Oysters, and recently shared his recipe with a local newspaper. The recipe is simple -- there's almost nothing to it -- but the key to it is getting the prettiest, fattest oysters you can find. Louisiana oysters are, or course, preferable, but Pacific oysters will also do very well. Shuck 'em yourself, too.

32 oysters, on the half shell
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (use Parmagiano Reggiano)
1/4 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
Heat the grill over medium-high heat.
Melt the butter with the garlic and pepper in a large skillet. Mix the Parmagiano and Romano cheeses in a small bowl.

Spoon some of the melted butter mixture onto each oyster. Add a pinch of the combined cheeses to each oyster, add a pinch of parsley, then place on the grill. Grill the oysters until they are hot,bubbly and puffed, about 8 minutes.

YIELD: 8 servings.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food...ood/char-erstas.html

oys_cooked2.jpg

http://www.dragosrestaurant.com/

That must be a misprint. 32 Drago's char-broiled is barely two servings. I don't know anyone that stops at just four.
icon_wink.gif

I had these at Dragos for the first time back in March. Wow, I think I could honestly eat 3 dozen and still have a lobster. They are truly amazing.

They have been on my mind, so I finally made some at home. They were a huge hit. I loved the giant flames from the butter... Just like at the restaurant.

Thanks for posting this great recipe, and for the cool history lesson.

Edit: Details of my attempt at Drago's oysters HERE.
4707651445_6ca5419600_b.jpg

You just can't stop eating them! I think I had about 2 dozen the time I was there. Easy to make at home, which is great!

just fired up wsm first time yesterday with chicken and ribs, unbelievable...looking for seafood and this has got to be it. Looks so good. Thanks for the inspiration

I made these yesterday - they were great! It was my first time buying, shucking, and cooking oysters, but not too difficult. I used a short screw driver since I didn't have a oyster knife.

6523329613_33334de496_z.jpg

I used my 22" charcoal, since I wanted big flames. I do not think it would be as good on a gas grill.

Back