silver B rehab

Vin

TVWBB Fan
ok.. my 2002 Silver B needs new grates and flavorizer bars... the porcelain coated are $75 for both, while the stainless are about $150.

Can anyone convince me why I should pay an extra $75 for the stainless?

Thanks.

sure, cuz in a few years you will have to replace the grates again. now you are into the same bucks. spend the $$$$ now and you can enjoy them starting now !

I will agree with George, get the ss and you won't have to make the purchase again later.

I have a summit silver about the same age with the ss grates/bars(came with them) and they are still in great shape.

What SS grates are you talkin about? Those lite weight SS plate ones or the heavy SS rod ones #9930? I had the stock SS ones but after five years they rusted out so spent the extra bucks and bot the SS rods and very happy with them.

looking at these:

the stainless grates would be p/n 7527 while the porcelain are p/n 7526.

the stainless flavor bars would be p/n 7537 while the porcelain are p/n 7536.

Here are a couple shots of the ones that came with my grill when I bought it new. I just looked my grill over the other day and I have other areas that are going to be in need of attention well before these do. My grill has had a lot of use over the years (all year long)including some really cold winters.
IMAG0289.jpg

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0292.jpg

thanks Steve.. mine are in much worse shape than that..

I plan on taking the grill apart and giving it a good powerwashing once the weather gets a tad warmer here.

No problem Vin. I know they are not the best pics as they came from my phone. I am with you on having to tear the grill apart. I have some refinishing to do. I noticed some rust under the paint. What do you expect though, it has been outside (covered when not in use)for 10 years. So it may get a new paint job this year. But as far as the grate and bars go definetly the s/s. I think you will be glad you went that route, especially in the long run.

Was just @home depot. They had the hollow stainless steel or the porcelain coated cast iron. Same price: $65. The CI seemed better. Both seemed bettr than porcelain coated steel. Thoughts?

I prefer ss. I went from porcelain ci to ss and I do not notice the difference. The ss is so much easier clean and I don't have to worry about it rusting. I have a Genesis EP320 with ss grates & flavorizer bars and I wouldn't go back ci..

Porcelain coated heat bars will develope micro cracks which lead to failure because of differential expansion of porcelain & steel at very high temps. Get the SS bars.
The grates are a different story, because you can season the grates you can season the micro cracks & make the grates last 20 + years.
That choice can be made by what you prefer to cook on ,

ok.. so I think I'm going with the SS flavorizer bars and the PCI grates...

I'm also thinking of giving the entire grill a good powerwash cleaning... anything I should know about before taking this on?

If you power-wash it; you'll probably force water into the burners, which may interfere with proper burning if they don't get a chance to dry-out first.

I would remove the burners and tip or hang them - so that any water / cleaning fluid drips out of the valve-body end.

fwiw I found some truly excellent stainless grates for my gen B on ebay. Not orig weber but solid stainless & really heavy. Very happy.
My PCI grates got chipped and I always felt a little unhappy about them - I don't use the grill that much so the zero maintenance of the stainless is worth it for me.
I'd send you my PCI but the shipping from the uk wouldn't be worth it!

Originally posted by James M-B:
fwiw I found some truly excellent stainless grates for my gen B on ebay. Not orig weber but solid stainless & really heavy. Very happy.
My PCI grates got chipped and I always felt a little unhappy about them - I don't use the grill that much so the zero maintenance of the stainless is worth it for me.
I'd send you my PCI but the shipping from the uk wouldn't be worth it!

I second the recommendation on the SS grates from the ebay guy. These were one of my best bbq investments. They are grate (har) all the way around...great sear marks, no maintenance, clean up easy enough,and I just can fathom needing to replace them again unless I accidentally run over them with the car...and I'm not even sure that could do the trick.

Pricy but worth it if you plan on keeping your gasser for a long time.

Back