Re: Smoked turkey but now no gravy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Bryan:

If you are smoking the meat on the top rack...you could put a drip pan below on the lower rack, but I'm afraid that is too easy an answer at this point. You probably would have thought of that.

I'm sure this next suggestion is going to be looked at as heresy, but in the worst case scenerio - just doctor-up some store bought gravy with some Kitchen Bouquet (it's a smoke flavoring), and any other seasonings you like. Then follow the ultimate chef's rule: DON'T APOLOGIZE FOR ANYTHING. I learned this rule a couple years ago, and it is too true. Whenever you make excuses for something, or hem n' haw about how it could have been better - you look foolish, and your guests feel awkward. Remember - no one expects as much from you as you do. Sorry for the rant
biggrin.gif
, but that drives me nuts! Now I'm not saying to serve something that you know isn't good. But sometimes we have to improvise, and see what happens
wink.gif

I hope some of the Veterans write in to bail you out in the next couple hours.

Good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

weber dave

P.S. It's 3:am, and the phone just keeps ringing with turkey questions - so don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

[This message has been edited by dave estrem (edited 11-23-2000).]

I made a Turkey Stock. I bought some Turkey backs and wings from the local Market. I've reduced the stock down by 50%. When it gets close to dinner time I will saute the livers and hearts I pulled out of the two 14 pounders that are on the WSM right now. I also used the necks of the two birds for the stock. When the livers are nice and crispy I will add the stock. Then thicken with port, butter and corn starch.

Worst case I would just heat up some canned chicken stock, mix in some carmelized onion, garlic, carrot, celery, Fresh herbs like sage if you got it. Then thicken with corn starch.

Hope this helps

Chris.

Hi,heres a post from:

The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board
Beginner's Forum
Potatoes

Re: gravy & other side-dished you can prepare in your water-pan.(should you dare
smile.gif

While im at it....unless I missed it,I havent seen this mentioned in any
posts.I usually put a handful of potatoes(& sometimes onions,carrots,ect.)in my waterpan.

They always come out soft & delicious,some of my family like them better than the Q!
(some dont like the smoke flavor,heretics!)

[cont. in thread]

I guess it must be John!

Dare I mention what a delicious gravy that 'gook' can be made into?
Maybe I better not.

Glad im not the only one.
Heres to keepin' it lazy!

Theo B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back