Stoker Housing - Weatherproof

Marshall

TVWBB Member
Now on the 3rd or 4th iteration, but starting to really shape up.......This is a complete Stoker suitcase for the serious griller. Fully self contained. Has a wireless access point underneath the panel frame. Simply plug case into the wall...(uses a generic 3 prong computer cord), flip the power switches for the access point and the Stoker, plug in your blower and probes, and you are ready to go. We have built 3-4 of these so far and all work great. ANyone interested?
Home.html

Originally posted by Marshall:
Now on the 3rd or 4th iteration, but starting to really shape up.......This is a complete Stoker suitcase for the serious griller. Fully self contained. Has a wireless access point underneath the panel frame. Simply plug case into the wall...(uses a generic 3 prong computer cord), flip the power switches for the access point and the Stoker, plug in your blower and probes, and you are ready to go. We have built 3-4 of these so far and all work great. ANyone interested?
Home.html

Very interested... Do you have more pictures that show how the power is connected to the case? Can you make a set of probe connectors accessible from the outside of the case and still keep it water tight?

Power connects with a normal 3-prong computer power cord. There is no great way to provide full waterproofing. The jacks are open and would leak if they got wet

James,

The panels can be configured however you want. If you need an extra blower port, that is fairly easy to accomplish. Keep in mind you can always use the 3 jacks that are on the front panel of the stoker.

Marshall

J. Ray,

Description Cost Total Special Notes
1 Pelican case (Model 1300) $39.80 $39.80 Order from: Pelican-case.com
1 Pelican Special App Panel Frame $12.31 $12.31 Order from: Pelican-case.com
1 Pelican Shipping $9.95 $9.95
2 Radioshack Power switches $3.19 $6.38 RS Part Number: 275-693
2 1/4" stereo jacks (2-pack) $4.19 $8.38 RS Part Number: 274-312
1 Custom Panel $100.00 $100.00 (custom milled and configured to your specs)
1 Power cord inlet $5.00 $5.00 Ebay (Search: IEC320-C14)
1 Computer power cord $5.00 $5.00 Ebay (Search: IEC320-C13)

In addition to your Stoker and power supply (wall wart), you will need an Apple Airport Express to provide the wireless functions. You can typically find used units for $40-$60 on E-bay. I'm not currently assembling any units, but with this Bill Of Material listing and the custom panel (I will sell you one of those), you will be in business. Fairly simple to put together if you have any wiring skills at all. There are a few modifications necessary to the case of the Stoker that are also very simple. I can help you with pictures and descriptions on the modifications. All are reversible and will restore the Stoker case to it's original state in case you change directions in the future.

Marshall Maddox

Marshall,

Can you post a pic of the underside of your panel? I would like to see how you are retaining the stoker and AE.

Pictures still coming. The front panel is sandwiched between the stoker case and the front panel on the stoker. I simply silicone (RTV) glue the AE to the underside of the front panel. Just need to make sure you get the status light aligned with the light hole in the panel.

Marshall,

Thanks for the explanation and pics. I am in the process of building one of my own inspired by your creation. I'll post some pics once it's done.

I'm guessing you haven't had any issues with heat. The AE does produce some heat and has some spotty history with it.

Are you fabricating your own panels or are you using an online source?

Thanks for the help...

Heat has not been an issue so far. I'm pretty careful to try and put the box in the shade so the sun is not directly beating down on it. I've checked the panel temperature after a long smoke on a hot day, and it feels about ambient temperature. I think the aluminum panel provides some heat sink for the AE. We tried styrene in the past, but too flimsy. Yes.....I am outsourcing the panel build.

How is the Stoker held in place on the faceplate? From looking at the pictures, it appears you removed the Stoker faceplate and sandwiched it over the other faceplate.

Back