Turkey Fryer Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm thinking of buying one. I've seen some advertised on Amazon that come with a basket (or some gizmo) for frying fish or chicken. I love the idea of being able to make real good chicken wings -- I can never get a pot of oil hot enough on the stove-top.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations for brands/models etc.?

turkey-package-3026.jpg

If you're looking for a turkey fryer, check your WalMarts at the end of the summer season for closeouts. I got this 2-burner model (see http://www.lalagniappe.com/mall/KK-turkey-package-3026.htm for details) for $25 last year. The only flaw - the box had got wet. Everything inside was perfect.

Cabela's has a lot of good equipment for turkey frying. End of the year sales, such as above, can't be beat. That will definetly solve your problem of not getting the oil hot enough. You'll need a therm to monitor your temp.

Paul

Wow, $25!!! Now that's a deal! I got the single burner, w/ turkey hanger, pot and thermometer for $60. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

Ditto to Pauls statement!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That will definetly solve your problem of not getting the oil hot enough. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get a funnel and filter set avail at cabelas also. I have one and it works great. I keep the oil in the beer fridge in the basement. Bryan

Art did you read the recomd on that item.. not so sure about it....

oh man you guys keep throwing these new toys at me....never heard of a turkey fryer before...now im going to do some reseach.....oh man......mmmm....sounds interesting......you could prob do some chicken in it to eh? neways.....im gonna do some snoopin....thanks guys

icon_rolleyes.gif

Mords...you can do like 10 or 20 pounds of chicken wings at a time. Haven't you ever deep fried a turkey?? Missing out my man!!

NO I HAVE NEVER DEEP FRIED A TURKEY!!!
and before i met you guys i never had smoked a brisket...or for that matter...ANYTHING...lots of new things for me this summer.....
SUMMER OF 04......WOW!?

Ok forgive my stupidity...but i looked at these turkey fryers...now whats so great about these things... cant you just do this on your stove top.. i mean it just looks like a big pot with a fire underneath the pot....why cant this be done on a stove top....

confused in queens
icon_rolleyes.gif

I'd have to wonder if the average stovetop burner could generate the BTUs to heat and sustain the oil temp of that large a volume-- and to recover quickly enough when the turkey goes in. Then there are the considerations of oil spatter, the height of the pot, and how the house would recover from the fumes of five gallons of boiling oil. Wouldn't want to even think about a grease fire of such proportions.

Well, for starters:
1. That much boiling oil would put an awful lot of grease vapors into your kitchen. It could be very messy.
2. Do you have enough "headroom" above your stove to accomodate the height of the pot, and the necessary height to be able to lower the turkey into it, then remove it when it's done?
3. Follow the link to see what can happen if you aren't very careful when deep frying a turkey. Out in the open, this is spectacular. Inside your house, it would be devastating.
4. Finally, everyone knows that food cooked outside has no calories, no cholesterol, and cannot contribute to any known health problem, including weight gain. (It's one of life's mysteries.) So a turkey fried outside is much better for your health than one cooked inside.

Whoosh!

Larry, that the funniest $$$$ i have ever seen... its even funnier how some ppl here who i wont mention..were even suggesting that i get one....and after seeing half of that video..ill watch the other half sat night...(we had to go to inlaws) i guesss i suppose im supposed to get dressed up like taht everytime you make a turkey...funny..i actually have a outfit like that..minus the SCBA aperatus.....dont ask why.. neways...ill be back on late sat night.. so take care and thanks for that video again...it convinced me.......take care

Mords...funny how that doesn't happen everytime you use one! I think I've used mine 200 times and my house and deck are still here.

Perhaps what is funnier is that you're under the impression that what happens in the video happens to everyone!!
icon_frown.gif

I didn't mean it as "why not to get a turkey fryer". I meant it as "why you shouldn't deep fry the turkey inside". The video demonstrated what happens if you don't follow the instructions (i.e., you put too much oil and overflow it when you put the turkey in). I'll bet that for every turkey fryer fire, there are dozens, if not hundreds of kitchen fires caused by people who put a pan full of grease on the burner, then go do something else and forget about it (until they smell the smoke).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back