Cast Iron Pizza Pan

Ethan G

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm interested in doing some pizza on a WSM, but am honestly a cheapskate. I haven't bought a stone, grate extender, etc. I was looking on Amazon and saw this:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb...on+14-inch+pizza+pan

Has anyone used one of these? From the measurements, it looks like it would fit nicely onto the top grate. Then you could have the coals at the level of the bottom cooking grate, as in Chris's description of pizza on the smoker. Or...with the handles, it looks like it would work to have the coals in the usual place, empty water pan to give the indirect effect, then the cast iron pizza pan on the bottom cooking grate. Any suggestions??? Thanks.

I just got one and am still experimenting with it. What I like already is that it can also be used as a skillet for potatoes, eggs, bisquits etc. GeorgeL is the expert though. Have a look in the charcoal grills section.

I'm sure there would be multiple uses for the pan, but personally, I don't think I'd use it for pizza on the grill or WSM. The pan would first have to be preheated on the grill or WSM. Then an assembled raw pizza would be peeled onto it. Unfortunately, it appears that the pan's rim would make it difficult to insert the peel under the pizza to remove it when it is baked in order to bake more pizzas.

It might be a little easier if you are doing crusts only, since you could lift the edge of the crust with tongs to be able to slide the peel under it.

If you plan to try it, be sure that your peel will fit between the handles.
icon_wink.gif

Rita

I gave what you are saying some thought before ordering. My peel actually fits very well and I think this is going to work better than a stone. I will try and make one either tonight or tomorrow. Another thing I just noticed is that it can also be flipped over.
icon_wink.gif

Shaun, good thought about flipping the cast-iron round griddle. I've only been looking at the photo and it looks as if the pan might not be real stable when sitting on its handles (depends on the height of the handles), but photos can be misleading. It's certainly worth a try. Please let us know.

Rita

You could also use a Comal..aka cast iron skillet for cooking tortilla's on. Though smaller they work great.

Well, here are the results.
icon_smile.gif

I propped up the lid as George suggested with a couple of sticks. They burned a little, so next time I will be making a more permanent steel prop. I also just set the pan on my Weber rib rack. The crust was perfect. I must say, my Wife and I were very pleased.

I took these pictures with the flash on so it came out much whiter than it actually was.

Thank's George!
icon_biggrin.gif

Beautiful pizza, Shaun. You never know until you try, and I'm glad it worked so well for you. I'll bet there were no leftovers.

Rita

Shaun,
That setup for pizza looks great. (Pizza looks awesome too) Which grill are you cooking on?
How many briquesttes are you using and any idea of the temp?

Thanks for the great replies. AJ, I cooked on the 22, I don't know how many briquettes since I just laid a bed of them down in a round charcoal saver. I never checked the temp, but I would say it was at least 600 because the lid was propped up it kept it high. I will be making another today and will post the results again. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your experience Shaun. It's the next best thing to sharing that pizza you showed us! I'll be getting one of these pizza pans.

I bought one of those pans a few months ago but have yet to use it. I was worried if it may need to be preheated and /or the dough would need to be put on a few minuted before the sauce, cheese and toppings.

Did you preheat yours or put the pan in cold? Did you precook the dough a few minutes?

Hi James, I assembled the pizza right on the cold pan and just set it in when I was ready. I just leave it in the fridge until my fire is ready. Just keep in mind it's a completely different method than using a preheated stone with a raging fire trying to do multiple pizzas. You can do that with this by flipping it over, but I usually just do one. Please give it a shot and post the results. We can practice with it together. Thanks!

BTW, I put the dough on completely raw.

That's a really great site Joe. I spent about an hour there already. I loved the videos and info on making dough. Boy, there are a lot of people buying the Lodge pan. They also review the Kettle pizza oven. Now I want pizza tonight.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Shaun R:
That's a really great site Joe. I spent about an hour there already. I loved the videos and info on making dough. Boy, there are a lot of people buying the Lodge pan. They also review the Kettle pizza oven. Now I want pizza tonight.
icon_wink.gif

I concur. Almost all of the "serious eats" sites are really good and somewhat empirical in their reviews.

I'm getting interested in this pan to use on my grill, but did anyone see this on the Amazon site?

"Oven-safe to 400 degrees F."

That's a pretty low temperature to cook pizza. I do mine at ~700° on my gasser on a raised stone.

What temperatures are y'all baking at? Oven or grill? Are you seasoning it after every use?

Rita

Back