Snowy disaster

Clay W

It hasn't snowed here in a month.... My WSM showed up this morning fed-ex so i threw it together and started smokin.... It wasnt 10 minutes after i started it decided to snow. I'm having a heck of a time, ended dumping the water out of the pan mid cook because i couldnt keep my temps up. Things are looking better now. I have some major "learnin" to do. Heres a pic of the mess.
Thanks all http://i24.photobucket.com/alb...ass1980/IMGP4331.jpg

What temp are ya at?
What are ya cookin'?
You have your vents open?
Have enough hot charcoal burnin'?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
What temp are ya at?
What are ya cookin'?
You have your vents open?
Have enough hot charcoal burnin'? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

When i had the water pan full the temp was sitting about 200 on the lid, 220 at the grate says my cheapo digital thermometer.
I'm cooking one rack of Spare ribs that i cut St. Louis... and three little beef short ribs i had in the freezer.
All vents are wide open.
Charcoal looks good to me but im am definately a charcoal rookie, been a gasser until now. This is my first smoke. Put the ribs on at 12:30, so its been 4 hours now, although they came off for about 10 minutes when i decided to dump the water pan. Temp looks to be holding steady about 240 now. Thanks for the help.

You'll be fine. Just be patient and don't panic and pull the meat off too early.
Hey, I like the windbreak. Good move.

Thanks Gary and Millsy, it is just a little breezy, using it more for a snow break. I will be sure to post the final results Millsy, even though they probably wont be good. when would be a good time to apply a sauce, i made one from the recipes forum and am not sure when to put it on?

Thanks Tom,

Well the spares came out good, these were the first smoked ribs i have ever cooked or eaten. My girlfriend said she liked them too, hope she wasn't just trying to be nice
icon_smile.gif
. The Beef short ribs on the other hand were not good, tuff tuff tuff. I put them on the same time as the spares and they went 6 hours...way overdone. Well here's the results http://i24.photobucket.com/alb...ass1980/IMGP4332.jpg

I had the same results with the beef,I have been sticking with the pork.Great job they look good from here.

Clay, looks Good!
icon_cool.gif

I do beef ribs at 225-250' for 4 hours.
You'll get the hang of it, it does get easier!
Sorry I left so abruptly yesterday, I have virus issues to deal with.
icon_mad.gif

Thanks everyone, cant wait to do it again....It ended up snowing all night, i had to dig my wsm out of 2 feet of snow today.
icon_smile.gif

Back