Hot Wings/Buffalo Wings

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
I am looking for a good(and easy)recipe and cooking method recommendation for hot wings. I want to cook up a bunch at work. I have WSM,22.5 kettle, and a deep fryer(turkey fryer). The simpler the better!!!!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
thanks, Jim

The Original Buffalo Wings recipe from Frank's RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce:

2-1/2 lbs. chicken wing pieces
1/2 cup Frank's RedHot
1/3 cup melted butter or margarine

1. Bake wings 1 hour at 425* or
deep fry for 12 minutes at 400*
2. Combine Frank's RedHot and melted butter
3. Dip wings in sauce to coat.

Jim...

Here is my favortie recipe. Very similar to the original, but much hotter.

I have come to the conclusion that deep frying is the best way to make wings. I have baked and grilled and smoked and nothing gives the same feel as deep frying.

Hot Wings

3 - 4 pound(s) Chicken wings

COATING
1 tablespoon Chili powder
1 tablespoon Cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon White pepper
1 tablespoon Black pepper
1 tablespoon Cumin
1 tablespoon Salt
1 tablespoon Garlic powder
SAUCE
1 cup Red hot sauce
1 Stick Butter
1/2 tablespoon Cayenne pepper
1/2 tablespoon Garlic powder

Combine the ingredients for the coating.
Sprinkle or roll the wings in this seasoning until covered.
Deep fry wings until crisp. You can also bake in a 400? oven for about 20-25 minutes.
Heat the sauce ingredients to dissolve.
Toss the finished wings in this sauce to coat.
Use a large heat-proof mixing bowl, NOT a Baggie or Ziploc, they will melt.

Fried is definitely the way to go baking IMHO doesn't give the texture I want. I fry mine at ~350 in canola oil for ~12 minutes. Then toss with Franks, cayenne and chipolte tobasco.

Mike

Here's the post that went around the web for awhile. Not sure how true it is, but the sauce is fantastic IMO. Love to try it with the coating that Kevin posted.

Post as follows:
Here is what I believe to be the original recipe, as I learned it in 1982 from ?Bubba?, an ancient, little black man who said he actually used to make the wings at Frank and Teresa?s Anchor Bar, Buffalo, New York, where the original Buffalo Wings were invented during 1964. Today, the Anchor Bar is said to serve up in excess of 70,000 lbs. of these wings each month

? The Sauce - makes enough for about 30 wings
o 6 Tablespoons (3 oz.) of FRANK?S Louisiana Hot Sauce (also sold as DURKEE?S)
o 1/2 stick of margarine (not butter!!)
o 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar
o 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper powder
o 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper
o l/8 teaspoon of garlic salt
o A dash of black pepper
o 1/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
o 1 to 2 teaspoons of Tabasco sauce
o Mix all the ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat (and I do mean low) until the margarine is completely melted, then stir until everything is blended into the sauce. Then get the sauce off of the heat!! This last step is quite important, as any additional heating tends to kill the flavor.

? The Wings - use about 30 wings
o Use completely defrosted wings
o Cut off the tips
o Use a deep fryer (or a pot deep enough to hold wings covered with oil)
o Use a candy thermometer to measure the temperature of the oil.
o In the deep fryer, put in about a quart of peanut oil (yes, I said peanut oil. Other types of oil don?t seem to develop quite the same exquisite flavor.) Heat the peanut oil to 375 degrees F., and drop in half (15) of the wings, one at a time. Doing it one at a time is important, as you don?t want to lower the temperature of the peanut oil too much (less than about 325 degrees F.) by dumping in a whole load of cold wings all at one time.
o Fry the wing for 12 to 15 minutes, then take them out.
o Place the other 15 wings in the deep fryer, then drain the hot, cooked wings for a few minutes through a strainer, preferably placed over the deep fryer. If you don?t use a strainer, the residual oil will congeal on the wings, making a rather greasy mess.
o When all the wings are cooked put the wings and the sauce in a container with a cover. Then vigorously shake the container until the wings are thoroughly coated.
? Serve with celery and blue cheese salad dressing.

I just cooked up a bunch of wings in my turkey fryer, and followed the recipe from Franks Hot Sauce that Doug D. offered up. They were awesome! Everyone, including me was skeptical of the sauce...but they were a hit with everyone in the family. I like the deep fryer effect; they come out nice and crisp. Maybe not enough heat for some people. I cooked mine at 375 for 10 minutes. Scored again...next weekend I try my first overnight effort of a Pork butt and a brisket.

I'm a big fan of the Jim Beam wing sauce, they carry it here in KC at both Hy-Vee and Price Chopper. I don't have a turkey fryer (YET), so I marinade the wings in the sauce for a few hours, then I grill them while constantly basting with the sauce until just about charred. There's a bar/grill here in KC called Tanner's that has a charred wing dish that's very similar.

The last KCBS Cookbook (the black hardback one) has a good wing sauce recipe in it too, I like adding other things to make it hotter/zestier. It's just olive oil, chile powder, hot sauce, worster sauce, black pepper...maybe some garlic powder as well.

when i was last at the grocery store I saw that they had Franks Hot Wing Sauce...I usually do 1 bottle of Franks and 1 stick of butter but I thought I'd try this new stuff...tasted like crap, had a real fake butter flavor like bad theater pop corn...I'll stick with the original Franks and butter, and add 20-30 drops of Tabasco Habinaro to get a little more heat

I just tried Kirk's "Bubba" recipe, and I have to say, they tasted exactly like Buffalo wings are supposed to taste. Loads of compliments from the assembled masses.

That said, is it worth it, when you really could just have them delivered? I don't mind the cooking so much (heck, I enjoy it), it's the clean-up that makes me wonder...

Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
I checked out that Blair's web page...there is no way I could use that stuff. I like spicey but c'mon.<br /><br />No probably about it.

Blair's Original Death isn't really that hot. You could have it on chips. It's one of my favorite all around hot sauces. Bone Sucking Sauce- Hiccuppin Hot...is way over Blairs Death. Death has a real nice flavor. If you can, pick some up and give it a try.

I have been using this one and adding alot more Frank's Red Hot... it is awesome!

Sierra's Grandma's Secret Buffalo Wing Sauce Recipe courtesy Arnette Rauh

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
User Rating:

2 cups vegetable oil
10 whole, fresh chicken wings, cut in pieces (20 wing pieces)
1 stick butter
4 tablespoons brown sugar
5 tablespoons tomato sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano, fresh or dried
Dash beer
1 dash hot sauce (recommended: Frank's Hot Sauce)

Chicken Wing preparation: Heat 2 cups vegetable oil to 350 degrees F in a large skillet on stovetop. Drop wing pieces into hot oil and fry for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp. Transfer wings to paper towels to remove excess oil.
Buffalo Wing Sauce: Melt butter and brown sugar together over medium heat in a small saucepan on stovetop. Add tomato sauce and hot sauce into mixture. Finally, add garlic, onion powder, white pepper, chili powder, salt, and oregano. Add a dash of beer, to taste. Stir over low heat until mixture is well blended.

Toss sauce liberally over chicken wings. Serve buffalo wings with blue cheese dressing, carrots and/or celery sticks.

Note: A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.

Episode#: FE1B01
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

I just made wings the other night for my wife and I. I cut the flour with Joe's Hot Stuff (made by the New Orleans cooking school and can be found online). I dipped dry to wet (egg wash) to dry again and fried at 375 in peanut oil for twelve mintes. For the sauce, we were in a rush. I only used Texas Pete Buffalo Wing sauce...no mods to it. It was very good for very little work. Good and crispy with a perfect amount of heat.

Although I like the texture of fried wings, I dislike the cleanup involved. I also don't like eating a lot of grease anymore-it just doesn't sit well with me. So...I like to rub them down with Bad Byron's first. Then I grill them, basting during the last few minutes with Wing Time medium or hot sauce. I know some people make their own sauce, but I like the convenience of buying a sauce at the store. It is quite tasty, as well.

Try the Frank's Red Hot Chile n' Lime Hot Sauce next time you do wings -- it's pretty good. (It's not a ready-made wing sauce.)

Anything with the word "Dave's" is okay by me
icon_smile.gif

Here's my sauce recipe...
3/4 cup Franks Hot Sauce
1/2 stick butter
5 TBS Cholua Hot Sauce
2 TBS Bone Sucking Sauce - Hicuppin Hot
2 TBS Jim Beam Hot Wing Sauce
1 TBS Daves Temporary Instanity Sauce
1 Drop Daves Insanity Sauce
I TBS Clover Honey
1 TBS REAL Vermont Maple Syrup

Originally posted by Doug D:
The Original Buffalo Wings recipe from Frank's RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce:<br /><br />2-1/2 lbs. chicken wing pieces<br />1/2 cup Frank's RedHot<br />1/3 cup melted butter or margarine<br /><br />1. Bake wings 1 hour at 425* or<br />deep fry for 12 minutes at 400*<br />2. Combine Frank's RedHot and melted butter<br />3. Dip wings in sauce to coat.

I tried this recipe today but did a few things differently. I coated the wings with some corn starch, cayenne pepper, pepper, paprika and some garlic.

I used 1/2 cup of sauce with 1/4 cup of butter and some garlic powder.

THE ABSOLUTE BEST WINGS EVER!!

Back