German BBQ????

Jeremy Laux

TVWBB Member
Okay, I know that a lot of Texas BBQ originated from German immigrants so now I am looking for a recipe that is still based on "german-style" cooking.

Specifically, I'm looking for a german recipe I can either smoke or simply BBQ. Anyone got a recipe or two they would like to share???

Thanks.

Sausages, sausages, sausages. I'm not aware of any adaptation of german recipes (like sauerbraten, jagerscnitzel) to BBQ outside of the sausages, though german (dressed with vinegar and bacon fat) potato salad is a great BBQ side. Serve whatever up with some Shiner Bocks!

I don't know what country started baking stuff with kraut like ribs and so on, but Bryan S took to doing pulled pork in kraut.

I think he bakes it or smokes it low n slow, then adds the kraut in the last couple hours. I'd fire that in the smoker, very light to no smoke. Remove when tender, shred, skim fat off, mix it all up.

It's a few notches above prem and kraut I grew up on.

Jeremy, I remeber asking my Mom this question about what was popular in Germany for charcoal/outdoor cooking. IIRC, (long time ago) she said Oxen (Moms way of saying of beef) roasts were what they did a lot of outside over in Germany.
As Shawn said I do pork and kraut on the WSM. Been doing it that way for almost 5 years now I think. Havent made it in the oven since doing it on the WSM. IMO best P&K ever done on the WSM over lump, no smoke wood. Here's a pic of the last P&K cook done on the WSM.

PK.jpg

Bryan,

That looks incredible. Do you have more details for how you do it? Or an old link where you may have discussed before. Looks like a great idea for a Winter Meal or traditional New Years Day feast.

Thanks,

Bob

Bryan, that looks simply amazing. As Bob stated, do you have more details on how to do this cook or are you keeping the recipe close to the chest?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

Bob and Jeremy, it rocks. Can't wait for you to try it and post your results. Here's my old post about the process. Sometimes I use butt and the above pic is the roast off a whole bone in loin I got last year on sale. I cut the roast off and the rest was cut into 1" - 1 1/4" pork chops. Any other questions just ask. Link to thread for you.

you should post it in recipes

Mom used to do hocks in the oven like this, I recall her doing ribs like this a few times ... I'd rather save the ribs for the smoker

We've mixed it up kraut and pulled pork in place of prem on the stove.

I can't believe I haven't done this yet .... I guess it's just because I'll probably be the only one here eating it ... they don't know know what they'll be missing
icon_biggrin.gif

We use dill in our kraut ... since this came up again I've been trying to think of what I might use for a rub. Aside from a fancy mustard, maybe onion, garlic, pepper and possibly corriander (like dill & corriander in Montreal steak seasoning) I'm baffled. What do you rub yours with?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
What do you rub yours with? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
S&P, gran garlic, and gran onion. Yeah I can't believe you never made it yet either
icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
What do you rub yours with? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
S&P, gran garlic, and gran onion. Yeah I can't believe you never made it yet either
icon_confused.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan, thanks again for posting. Much appreciated. What other kinds of rub would you suggest for this recipe? I guess I should shy away from my typical pork butt rubs that usually revolve around sweet & hot like chipotle. Is simple S&P, garlic and onion the way to go???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeremy Laux:
Is simple S&P, garlic and onion the way to go??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It works for me. Remember that your making Pork and Kraut not pulled pork.
icon_wink.gif

Bryan,

Seriously thinking about making his tomorrow. Read through your link. Question I have is what temp to do you cook the meat too and I assume you just slice or chop instead of pulling?

Thanks,

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert T.:
Bryan,

Seriously thinking about making his tomorrow. Read through your link. Question I have is what temp to do you cook the meat too and I assume you just slice or chop instead of pulling? Thanks,

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, just cook to the slicing stage. I usually do loin end roasts so no need to kill em with heat. At 142º there are done, it's just like cooking pork chops, since pork chops are cut from the bone in loin. I usually go to 145-150º just to get the color right. You can pull earlier, but with all the juice and kraut in the pan, moisture is not an issue. HTH and hope you do make it. You'll be hooked for life if you do. I have never made pork and kraut in the oven since doing it on the WSM.
icon_wink.gif

Awesome, thanks. I showed your pic to my wife and she is all for it. Thanks again for your help. By the way, are you always on here?

icon_biggrin.gif

Happy New Year to you.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert T.:
Awesome, thanks. I showed your pic to my wife and she is all for it. Thanks again for your help. By the way, are you always on here?

icon_biggrin.gif

Happy New Year to you.

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Cool Beans Man! I'm sure you will like the results, please take and post some pics. And yes I try to be here as much as I can, I like it here.
icon_wink.gif

Okay, forgive me for my pork ignorance. I can find a butt or what is labeled here as a pork loin roast but it is long and cylindrical and does not look like your picture. We have cooked these before but your timing seems really long. Am I looking at the right cut of pork?

Bob

Okay, forgive me for my pork ignorance. I can find a butt or what is labeled here as a pork loin roast but it is long and cylindrical and does not look like your picture. We have cooked these before but your timing seems really long. Am I looking at the right cut of pork?

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes Bob, Pork loin roast. Mine this year is a loin end sirloin end roast. They also had the center cut, and butt end, all called loin roasts, and all cut from a whole bone in loin. If you look at the ends, you can see that it's just un-cut pork chops. Here's a pic of mine, getting ready to get it on the WSM. HTH

JXJAV-PorlandKraut09002.jpg

That does help. Thanks and Happy New Year.

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob, Good luck with your cook, and a Happy New Year as well. I made the P&K, with some beer brats thrown into the mix as well. I blasted this one at 350º, looks like it'll be done at 3.5 hrs. I'll be off to my Sisters house with the meal shortly, but here's a pic while I have time.

DSSRT-PorlandKraut09.jpg

Back