Tough colour choice

Chris F (UK)

Hi

Having been limited on space in the old house, I have been using a Q100 for 6 or so years, and love it.

Reason for gas in the first place (apart from limited space) was we dont get great summers in the North of England so shifts and 2 kid young daughters permitting it was easy to just to wheel the Q out of the shed when the weather was good (more often than not though I have grilled in the rain).

Anyways, new house has a garage and I have allocated a small space for a SJ.

Been years since I used charcoal, is a chimney starter an essential item?

Toughest choice though is what colour to go

About the cheapest in the UK

See how much more we pay in the UK
icon_confused.gif

I hope you aren't expecting us to feel sorry for you!
icon_biggrin.gif

I like the blue wave myself. If you get it please post a picture of it so we can see what it really looks like. Cheers Mate!

Welcome Chris!

A chimney starter is not essential, but they sure are nice to have.
For my camping SJ I use a tin can, with holes in the bottom edge, with Weber starter cubes.
IMGP9114.JPG

IMGP9109.JPG

Thanks Bob, doing the math I reckon somewhere around 2/3rds of a chimney should be enough briquettes for the SJ, is that your experience?

Chris,
It will depend on what you're cooking and the coal setup.
For the 14 inch SJ a half chimney might be plenty for indirect.

Hopefully a member who uses the SJ more often than I do will have better info on this, but trial and error works too
icon_smile.gif

Well, so far I've done a couple of things with the smokey joe (silver in this case, with bottom vents).

a) 3/4 chimney, full spread on the grate
good direct heat, with a big hotspot in the centre. With the lid on, still awesome cooker, less chance of overcharring
icon_biggrin.gif

I still had 1/2 chimney left after cooking for an hour (direct heat, lid on)

b) 1/2 chimney indirect, shoveled everything into a pile on one side and put a firestone as seperator, covered the rest of the grate with tinfoil. So it was kind of getting like a smoker kinda setup.

Great for well, indirect heat, plenty hot. Nice direct grill/sear whatchamacallit. Cooked for more than an hour, still plenty of coals left (whole chicken, pics here:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/545095_10151710812005704_641680703_24146546_808508199_n.jpg[/img
rubbed in with simple paprika powder, tumaric, salt, pepper, oliveoil, garlic.

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/536686_10151711938205704_641680703_24152026_619775288_n.jpg
finished product. Darn juicy'n'tasty

even had some room left to make these (direct over the coals area)
582144_10151711937900704_641680703_24152023_1067373849_n.jpg

And still plenty of coals left at the end of the session (chicken was on there for about an hour).

Now all this is for a SJS, so not too sure about the SJP or current SJ's with the side vents instead of the bottom vent
icon_biggrin.gif

Try to find a post on this site with some configuration ideas for the current SJ's with side vents.

Found a repost of the image I'm referring to here:
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...40039023/m/215100066

Oh comon now Chris...I think the choice is pretty easy!! I say all of the above!! But dont let me be the one to help you decide, I might take you down the wrong path...

004.jpg

Back