Auber vs. iQue

Tony I.

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked.

I am looking to get a temp. controller. I do not want to spend a lot on it, so the Auber and iQue both look like good options. I hear good things about both; they are both around the same price as well.

I am just having a hard time choosing between the two.

Can anyone (perhaps someone who has used both) testify to these devices?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Tony.

No experience with either, I'm a Stoker user.
But I personally know the owner of Auber and use several of his products. He is fast to respond to any questions or support issues.

I got the Auber last August and have used it about a dozen times now. I have a 22" WSM so the only regret I have is that I didn't get the 10 CFM fan (got the smaller one.)

The Auber has been rock solid on temps for me, even in bad weather. It didn't require a special adaptor; the fan snaps into one of the bottom vent holes and snaps back off when you are done.

It's a bit "techie" to set temps or mess with the variables. I haven't done much with the variables anyway, and almost always smoke at the same temp.

All around it has been a great low-cost ATC for me.

I have owned an operated an Auber for about a year and a half, I did not see the ique until I just googled it now.

advantages to Auber compared to what I see with the ique:

1) it can be set to any temp
2) it has a digital display that shows actual cooking temp
3) extra or different probes can be build from parts at auberinstruments.com
4) Auber customer service is great (they sent me a new powerpack, no questions asked)
5) the unit can be totally customized and autotuned (Auber can assist you in this process)

Where the Auber exceeds is that its a basic PID with a decent interface which allows you to get into the programming and, in addition to autotune, alter the way the unit functions. It seems like the other basic, intro stokers really get stripped down and they're "set it and forget it." I suppose this can be viewed as a good thing to some, but I prefer knowing how and why something works or not. And if they don't function the way you want, out of the box, you're stuck. I can't say how other units function, but I know from my experience and talking to others, that the Auber works much better after autotuning it on your cooker.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
I have owned an operated an Auber for about a year and a half, I did not see the ique until I just googled it now.

advantages to Auber compared to what I see with the ique:

1) it can be set to any temp
2) it has a digital display that shows actual cooking temp
3) extra or different probes can be build from parts at auberinstruments.com
4) Auber customer service is great (they sent me a new powerpack, no questions asked)
5) the unit can be totally customized and autotuned (Auber can assist you in this process)

Where the Auber exceeds is that its a basic PID with a decent interface which allows you to get into the programming and, in addition to autotune, alter the way the unit functions. It seems like the other basic, intro stokers really get stripped down and they're "set it and forget it." I suppose this can be viewed as a good thing to some, but I prefer knowing how and why something works or not. And if they don't function the way you want, out of the box, you're stuck. I can't say how other units function, but I know from my experience and talking to others, that the Auber works much better after autotuning it on your cooker.

You make excellent points. I too agree that a digital display displaying current temperature is definitely a huge plus.

Question though, and excuse my lack of knowledge I even googled it, but what exactly is autotune?

I understand what autotune is but just do not see how that relates to a smoker.

Thanks

Question though, and excuse my lack of knowledge I even googled it, but what exactly is autotune?

If you're interested in how stokers work, I suggest reading up on PID controllers. There's plenty of info out there.

from wikipedia:

The PID controller calculation (algorithm) involves three separate constant parameters, and is accordingly sometimes called three-term control: the proportional, the integral and derivative values, denoted P, I, and D. Heuristically, these values can be interpreted in terms of time: P depends on the present error, I on the accumulation of past errors, and D is a prediction of future errors, based on current rate of change.[1] The weighted sum of these three actions is used to adjust the process via a control element such as the position of a control valve, or the power supplied to a heating element.

Your stoker comes with set values for P, I, and D. Those set values may not be the best solution for keeping your cooker at a set temp. What autotune allows you to do, is to have the controller find a new set of values that may be a better solution to holding a temp.

To autotune:

1) read the manual and figure out how to view your current values and record those
2) get your cooker up to set temp
3) initiate the autotune and allow the stoker to cycle through over and under heating cycles
4) once complete, watch how the stoker reacts, and record your new variables

here's a thread about autotuning the auber

Originally posted by James Jacobson:
I got the Auber last August and have used it about a dozen times now. I have a 22" WSM so the only regret I have is that I didn't get the 10 CFM fan (got the smaller one.)

The Auber has been rock solid on temps for me, even in bad weather. It didn't require a special adaptor; the fan snaps into one of the bottom vent holes and snaps back off when you are done.

It's a bit "techie" to set temps or mess with the variables. I haven't done much with the variables anyway, and almost always smoke at the same temp.

All around it has been a great low-cost ATC for me.

With this in mind should I just spend the extra $18 or so for the larger fan? I don't have the 22.5", I've got the 18.5". Will the standard fan suffice?

I have the Pitmaster iQ110. I like it because I can set the temp and the fan speeds up or slows down as required. No specific fan required. I can monitor the temp with the maverick. ..but I've never had any other ATC.

i'm a bbq guru user, but i just recently bought an auber sous vide controller

their products, shipping, and customer service are definitely top notch.

i think the auber ATC is more flexible and capable.

I'm in same debate right now myself and after researching the different brands am leaning towards the auber.

Not to highjack your thread, but my biggest concern is the fan and how it snaps in. For anyone that owns one, does it seem durable? And is the gasket needed?

but my biggest concern is the fan and how it snaps in. For anyone that owns one, does it seem durable? And is the gasket needed?

it snaps in with "v" shaped wires that are spring loaded. squeeze the v, insert in a vent hole and slide the fan up tight. The system works well and is nice because, when done with it, the fan comes off easily so you can bring it inside, while the smoker cools down. The only drawback I see, is that the wires hit the fire ring, so it helps to get the fan in first before loading in the charcoal.

No issue with gasket. The tighter your unit is, the easier it will be to dampen the system. I have 2 wsm's and have entirely sealed up the one that I run the auber on, to maximize its ability to dampen.

I purchased an Auber ATC this past summer and think it's great. I load up the smoker set up the Auber and lite the fire. It takes about 15-20 minutes to settle at temp and then is rock solid for hours.I have done overnights with no problems.It also holds temp for cold winter smokes. Consumtion of charcoal is way down,I get more than 12 hours on a load of coal.It's basically set it and forget it.Highly recommended

I got the Auber in Sept and used it once and then had a problem that turned out to be the power adapter. I called customer service and we checked it out while I was on the phone and the replacement arrived 2 days later with no questions asked. Great customer service and once I figured out how to read the setup instructions it worked great.

Originally posted by Cory B:
I'm in same debate right now myself and after researching the different brands am leaning towards the auber.

Not to highjack your thread, but my biggest concern is the fan and how it snaps in. For anyone that owns one, does it seem durable? And is the gasket needed?

Not a problem, I'm sure any questions you have are things that I should know anyway.

I would like to thank all of you for the help, I think I may end up getting one of these Auber controllers. For the price, it just seems like it makes sense.

Ifsomething to keep in mind of you are in colder climbs... This weekends' cold snap seemed to result in EEEE errors for a lot of people with Auber's (some as far south as Georgia). The way the auber is built it can be expected to fail around the low 20s. The ique has a different design and does not have these cold weather limitations. I was leaning towards an auber until I saw all these error threads this weekend. Given Canadian weather patterns I figure The ique will be a better investment for me since I que year round.

Originally posted by Tony_H:
Ifsomething to keep in mind of you are in colder climbs... This weekends' cold snap seemed to result in EEEE errors for a lot of people with Auber's (some as far south as Georgia). The way the auber is built it can be expected to fail around the low 20s. The ique has a different design and does not have these cold weather limitations. I was leaning towards an auber until I saw all these error threads this weekend. Given Canadian weather patterns I figure The ique will be a better investment for me since I que year round.

That is good to know. Fortunately for me though this will not be a problem what so ever, as I live in south Florida. We haven't seen the 20's in many many years.

keg auber issues

brethren issues

Controller Operating Temperature 28~160°F (-2 ~ 70°C) from their own product page
auber details

In the keg thread there are some quotes from back and forth with Auber people in regards to the controller issues with temp. It doesn't seem to effect everyone, and for some people it seems they don't have the problem because they put the auber close enough to an ambient heat source (i.e. their pit) to keep it above the ambient temp.

Let me start by saying that I own an Ique. But here is my question about the Auber. Since the fan connects directly to the vent. Can you still use it when it's raining out?

Back