AB's Meatloaf

shawn244

TVWBB Fan
After reading Chris's new meatloaf article I thought I would post my favorite meatloaf reicpe. It is from Alton Brown and I have made it on the WSM with amazing results.

6 ounces garlic-flavored croutons
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, peeled and broken
3 whole cloves garlic
1/2 red bell pepper
18 ounces ground chuck
18 ounces ground sirloin
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 egg
For the glaze:
1/2 cup catsup
1 tablespoon ground cumin
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Dash hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon honey

Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a food processor bowl, combine croutons, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and thyme. Pulse until the mixture is of a fine texture. Place this mixture into a large bowl. Combine the onion, carrot, garlic, and red pepper in the food processor bowl. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped, but not pureed. Combine the vegetable mixture, ground sirloin, and ground chuck with the bread crumb mixture. Season the meat mixture with the kosher salt. Add the egg and combine thoroughly, but avoid squeezing the meat.

Pack this mixture into a 10-inch loaf pan to mold the shape of the meatloaf. Onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, turn the meatloaf out of the pan onto the center of the tray. Insert a temperature probe at a 45 degree angle into the top of the meatloaf. Avoid touching the bottom of the tray with the probe. Set the probe for 155 degrees.

Combine the catsup, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and honey. Brush the glaze onto the meatloaf after it has been cooking for about 10 minutes.

I've made this recipe and number of times and I think it's really great. Some members of my family think it's a bit spicy but for me it's been a great change. I'd really like to try it in the WSM and would appreciate any comments from those who have done so. Today however, will not be the day...........we're waiting for a good blizzard to happen along with -30 degree wind chills. This weekend all the cooking will be indoors!

I've done several of this size, though with recipes more like the one under "cooking topics" on this site (it's superb).
I prefer no glaze - don't want to interfere with smoke penetration.

It'll take about 2 hours to get to 155.
I've mistakenly let some go as high as 170 with no ill effect.

I suggest letting the meat mix set-up in your bread pan for 2 hours or more in the fridge before flipping onto the parchment.
And lining the bread pan with plastic wrap makes removal easy.
The parchment works wonders- the smoke ring I get is as big on the bottom as everywhere else.

Love meatloaf on the smoker
Like Alton Brown
Didn't like this recipe

For us, it had an odd texture. It's been a while since we did it. Maybe I'll give it another shot sometime.

If you haven't done a meatloaf you should definitely try it.

I prefer no glaze - don't want to interfere with smoke penetration.

haven't tried smoking a loaf of meat yet, but with whole roast and sausage, smoke doesn't penetrate but adheres to the outside. I'd think a sticky glaze might help. when cold smoking, meat is thoroughly dried so that the surface is tacky to help smoke particulates adhere.

It is said that meat doesnt absorb smoke, well that may be true but my experience is meatloaf does absorb the smoke flavor really well. Love it.

It is said that meat doesnt absorb smoke, well that may be true but my experience is meatloaf does absorb the smoke flavor really well. Love it.

like I stated, I have no experience with meat loaves, but I could see how their nooks and crannies could be good spots for smoke to hide.

Probably right JB. But the smokey taste to me is amazing. You should try a meat loaf. Man oh man the sandwiches "leftovers" are one of my favorite lunch time foods.

Probably right JB. But the smokey taste to me is amazing. You should try a meat loaf. Man oh man the sandwiches "leftovers" are one of my favorite lunch time foods.

I'll take your word for it, and I'll add it to my long list of things to try. right now I'm really intrigued by the smoked mussel thread.

I too love this recipe except I cut back the cumin to 1 TEASPOON.

All the comments about putting in frig and turning out onto parchment, or even well-sprayed grate works great. They usually go 60-75 minutes at 350. It will absorb LOTS of smoke, so I go with a single small chunk, usually cherry.

Been making AB's meatloaf for several years now, with a twist, induced by a member of this board. I add 4 oz of Gorgonzola crumbles in at the last step. Smoke it and it is OUTSTANDING.

I did this last night. Here's the documentation. Not bad, but not as good as I would have hoped. I took it off at 150, and it was a little dry. Used 80/20 ground beef and the only ground pork I could find was 90/10. No red bell peppers, but I used a green one. Little less sweet, but similar.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums?a=...=777108236#777108236

I've made this for years but I going to try it on the Performer for the first time tonight.

The recipe actual calls for a teaspoon, not table, of cumin. When you watch the show, he used a teaspoon but online the recipe showed table. I think it has been corrected.

I know cumin is required in many things I make, but it's a spice I just have never cared for. I always cut it in half of whatever a recipe calls for. Can't leave it out though.

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
...I'm going to try it on the Performer for the first time tonight.

...I always cut [cumin] in half of whatever a recipe calls for. Can't leave it out though.
Josh - I'm curious as to how your meatloaf turns out after being cooked on your Performer. Let us know the results, and maybe post pictures in the Photo Gallery, if you get any. I do not have a WSM, and use my OTS kettle for just about everything, and I have yet to try meatloaf (it's on my list for this winter).

Also, I feel the same about cumin: I usually use only a bit because too much and it will overpower the flavors very quickly.

Barret

Barret,

Not a problem. I am using my performer for more and more lately.

Usually whenver I need it, I can't find my camera. However it's at home now so I will take some pictures.

I actually make a larger version of this recipe. I slice it all up once done and freeze the slices indvidually. The reciepe a decent amount of work, so I'd rather have more out of it.

I think I am definitely going with the parchment base to make it easy getting on/off the grate.

Last night went a little rough. We had thunderstorms and wind, but the Performer managed. Uploading pics now, will post in phot gallery.

after i made my first meatloaf on the bbq, i am not allowed to make it any other way..it simply turns out great..very good smokey flavor

without pics it didnt happen right??

2uojjip.jpg

30l2e6w.jpg

Back