Borscht

I was going to write one out but decided to look to see if I could find a link to send you that would be explanatory.

The soup (which should be kind of stew-like) is esy to make. There are many variations so don't be concerned if you make a version that isn't the 'right' one. They are all similar enough.

This one is very close to what I make. The difference is that I use half chicken, half beef stock at the outset, and cook some beef in the stocks first, shredding it when tender to add back to the soup after the vegs have cooked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply

The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board Recipe Requests & Ingredient Questions Borscht </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
here is a site that will give you almost every ethnic variation on borscht.

http://www.ukraineorphans.net/id33.html

one thing I do when making it (my mother is Ukrainian) is to add vinegar or sour salt to prevent the beets from washing out in colour. also I roast my beets in tin foil before slicing them up. I find it greatly sweetens the beets, much like roasting carrots does. I also chop up the beet stalks and greens and them to the soup. the version I make I never use any meat or meat stock although sometimes mom would make it with spare ribs.

Ken

I like this one a lot, but I'm not sure if you're looking for a vegetarian borscht.

Russian Cabbage Borscht

2 tablespoons butter
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
1-1/2 cups thinly sliced potato
1 cup thinly sliced beets
1 large sliced carrot
1 stalk chopped celery
3 cups chopped cabbage
1 scant teaspoon caraway seeds
(optional: 1 tablespoon raisins)
4 cups stock or water
2 teaspoons salt
Black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dill weed
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon honey
1 cup tomato puree
Place potatoes, beets and water in a saucepan and cook until everything is tender (save the water). Begin cooking the onions in the butter in a large kettle. Add caraway seeds and salt. Cook until onion is translucent, then add celery, carrots and cabbage. Add water from beets and potatoes and cook, covered until all the vegetables are tender. Add potatoes, beets and remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer slowly for at least 30 minutes.

I ended up using the recipe that kevin had posted and taking his advice to use stock from the get go. I did substitute bacon fat for the vegetable oil. I have to say it was awesome! With some Russian black bread, salo, and horilka it made my friend very happy. He was touched that I went though the effort. Thanks again for the help and I'll defenitely save the other recipes to try next time. Budmo!

I was going to write one out but decided to look to see if I could find a link to send you that would be explanatory.

The soup (which should be kind of stew-like) is esy to make. There are many variations so don't be concerned if you make a version that isn't the 'right' one. They are all similar enough.

This one is very close to what I make. The difference is that I use half chicken, half beef stock at the outset, and cook some beef in the stocks first, shredding it when tender to add back to the soup after the vegs have cooked.

Old post (and I mean old ) but I was looking for a recipe for borscht. This one was shown BUT requires a password to get into the link. Kevin, can you help (copy/paste) or attach a pdf of the recipe??

In addition, link in post 4 is dead.

Old post (and I mean old ) but I was looking for a recipe for borscht. This one was shown BUT requires a password to get into the link. Kevin, can you help (copy/paste) or attach a pdf of the recipe??

In addition, link in post 4 is dead.

Wild Fermentation has one:

Borscht

The Eastern European culinary tradition that gave us borscht makes extensive use of fermented sour foods, and very tasty sour borscht can be made with sour beets.

TIMEFRAME: 1 hour (or longer)

INGREDIENTS (for 6 to 8 servings): 2 to 3 onions, chopped 2 tablespoons/30 milliliters vegetable oil 2 carrots, chopped 2 cups/500 milliliters diced potatoes 2 cups/500 milliliters soured beets 6 cups/1.5 liters water 1 tablespoon/15 milliliters caraway seeds

PROCESS:

1. Chop onions, and sauté in vegetable oil in a soup pot, until browned.

2. Add carrots, potatoes, soured beets, and water, and bring to a boil. 3. Roast caraway seeds in a dry skillet for a moment, grind them, and add to soup. 4. After the soup comes to a boil, lower heat and simmer for ½ hour. 5. The longer this soup sits, the more thoroughly its flavors will blend. Prepare it in the morning, or the day before you want to serve it. 6. Reheat borscht and serve hot, with sour cream, yogurt, or kefir (see chapter 7).

Katz, Sandor Ellix. Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture . Chelsea Green Publishing.

Back