Beef Jerky Questions - the Kevin Taylor recipe in Beef Section

Richard Batey

TVWBB Fan
In the Beef Section, there is a post about Beef Jerky on the WSM started by Stogie (Kevin Taylor). I have two questions about that beef jerky.

1. TenderQuik (TQ) is used in that recipe but he does not mention rinsing the meat after removing it from the TQ solution. I do rinse pork bellies after them being in TQ. What do you think about rinsing (and drying) the beef before smoking to make jerky?

I'm going to be smoking this on Tues. or Wed.

2. Once the jerky is finished, and portions vacuum sealed, how long would the vacuum sealed packs keep, and would/should they be refrigerated if unopened?

Thanks.

Richard

Regarding Q #2.

According to food network's Alton Brown, jerky should be packed loosely with some air to breathe.

If you have to vacuum seal, let the finished jerky breathe for at least 24 hours before sealing.

Spoilage, if any, will come only from pockets of fat (if there are any).

Matt - I don't have to vacuum seal but want to be able to store the finished jerky, possibly for an extended period. I trimmed the two Choice brisket flats of most of the fat.

You see jerky & Slim Jims tightly sealed in some material for sale in stores. How does it have such a long (?) unrefrigerated shelf life?

Richard

Thanks.
Richard

You can rinse if you'd like. You will have a slighter lighter, less salty finish.

Neither TQ nor plain curing salt is necessary for jerky.

Refrigeration is not necessary for properly made jerky. If the jerky is dry enough the risk of bacterial outgrowth is vanishingly small. The shelf life is long because of the dryness. Take jerky to the point where a test piece cracks when it bends (but doesn't break--that's too dry).

If you wish, as an added safety measure, you can heat treat the beef strips in their marinade at the end of the marinating period (put the strips and liquid in a pot a bring to 170-175 for 10 min; drain, pat dry then dry as planned), or after drying (place on a rack on a pan and put in a 275 oven for 10 min).

I wish I'd known that TQ isn't necessary in jerky. I think I'm going to wash it, dry it with paper towels, and back in refrigerator for a day, and then smoke it, followed by the oven for 10 minutes. We'll soon see how it turns out in more ways than one.

Thanks Kevin & Matt.

Richard

I found the following very enlightening, from Alton Brown.
Text:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-jerky-recipe/index.html
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIK4DVLHf7Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfI0NKl-Kq0

A while ago, I was scrambling to find some TQ, then here is this guy - no cooking, no curing agent -he just marinades and dries the meat with a fan.
Smoking has some curing properties, so I figure my (low-temp) smoked jerky is safer than his.

BTW, I liked his marinade, pretty standard stuff and a safe bet to begin with.

Well, the beef jerky adventure has concluded. I used a Luhr-Jensen electric smoker (Big Chief) to finish the jerky. Hey, it is an involved, lengthy process and the Big Chief just makes it easier.

The finished jerky is quite good, IMO, and it has gotten thumbs up from those who have eaten it.

Thanks.

Richard

Back