buckboard bacon and canadian bacon tomorrow!

chris kenney

Been curing for 10 days, I get to throw it on the WSM in the morning. Here is the plan:

-4lbs boston butt (trimmed to be flat) plus 2 each 2lbs pork loin cured up.

-soak in the morning, changing water at least twice, then good wash down.

-fresh cracked black pepper rub on all. Would love to maple syrup rub as well, but I worry that it will blacken. Anybody know?

-1/2 ring of Kingsford along with 2 lumps applewood. I wish I had hickory as well, but I used it all. shooting for 190 lid temp.

-throw on two fatties for good measure.

-hoping for 4 hours in the smoker until 140 internal. Whatever happens, happens.

-foil 2 hours room temp, refrigerate overnight, then slice with a mandoline (i hope) tomorrow morning.

-anybody got some good ideas, keen insight I should be thinking about???

Will post pics along the way starting tomorrow morning!

Sounds great! The one time I did CB it came out a bit salty for my tastes (others loved it), Kevin K. gave the tip to slice off a small piece and fry it up for taste prior to smoking, if too salty, soak longer till it tastes right….next time I’ll do this.

You want to do the good wash down first, before the soak. The maple syrup won't burn at low temps, but might hinder some smoke flavor. It's best to use the Maple Syrup in/along with the cure for, the cure stage. You can just try putting it on one loin, or skip it. Yes, cutting a small piece off and frying is a good idea.

I'm not an expert in making Buckboard bacon, but I can't help but think that cutting bacon with a mandolin would be a PITA.

A buddy just asked me for another bag of buckboard, and I realized it was my last one, so I'll be planning a buckboard cook again soon. I would really like to try belly bacon also. To get to the point, I tried adding maple syrup to the cure on my last BB smoke, and I really couldent tell the difference
icon_confused.gif
I bought some grade A syrup, ($7 bottle)
icon_rolleyes.gif
it is mighty tasty but I'm not sure why it didnt come through in the bacon. I also thought of buying a mandolin for slicing bacon, but ended up getting a higher end home slicer, nothing too fancy for sure, but it works for my bacon and lunch meat, think it ran me about $170.

edit: Its a Waring
Brandon

For all of my "Canadian Bacon" I use maple syrup. As Brian mentioned though it is best to use it during the curing stage as well. I do think it would come through nicely however if you gave it a good brush on all sides with the syrup as your putting it on the smoker. I do this as well as soaking during the curing stage and have never had a problem with the bacon not turning out smokey enough.

Clark

The kids slept in and I have a tee time this afternoon so I decided not to time crunch it. Tomorrow morning is the plan now.

PS, I used the high mountain cure this time.

In case you haven't seen this recipe, this is the one I use for Maple Bacon. This has a nice maple flavor in the bacon. Just an option for you for the next time you want to make some bacon. You can use bellies, loins or butts with that recipe. It's all good. Chris, good luck with the bacom smoke tomoorow. And may the golf Gods be with you today.
icon_biggrin.gif

golf was fun, dodged some rain and hit some great shots along with some terrible ones. Jeckyl and hyde golf yesterday. Did win 15 bucks in skins though...whoohoo!

Back to bacon, washed out and soaking now. If I have time, I will pat down and rub prior to church, its not looking good right now since everybody is still asleep so it will be mad dash to get out the door. Pics to come about noon eastern!

sorry no pics, but I am having camera issues. The bacon came out, but I am not blown away. It actually tastes like pastrami to me. I have not tasted the canadian bacon yet, so I will have to wait until tomorrow for that. I definitely put too much black pepper on it, and will not do that again. got to try some maple syrup or honey with it to sweeten it up next time.

Back