Any tips on how to...

Get my ribs so they are fall off the bone tender. Basically Ive had mixed results one time they were super tender and the last 2 they werent. The last time I noticed the slab I bought had little to no fat on them. Im using a 22.5 WSM I baste with apple juice in a spray bottle and rotate 180 degrees halfway thru I usually cook them for about 4 hours. Would wrapping them in foil help?

Matt, I make my spares, as I'm doing them today, 225'F for five hours without spraying anything.. using no water in the pan... and they are GREAT!
The rack I'm taking off (in 20 minutes) are some of the BEST ribs you'll EVER eet!
<span class="ev_code_RED">Tip,</span> go to PENZEY'S and buy their Barbeque 3000 seasoning and season those spares up both sides like there's no tomorrow. Cover all the meat.
Fire up a chimney of kingsford blue. Once ready, dump another chimney of UNLIT in your chamber. Then add the hot coals and your choice of wood. I like a combo of Apple and Cherry or Pecan and Apple or all three (Apple, Pecan, and Cherry). Close everything up WITH your ribs on the top rack. Once your dome temp hits 225'F, close your vents to 1 third open and the top ALWAYS wide open.
Maintain 225'F for the entire cook.
Remember: 5 Hours at 225'F
You'll LOVE your ribs then!!

Four hours for spares isn't long enough unless you are cooking high heat. Foil will help but is not a requirement. Test the ribs for tender by poking a probe or skewer in the meat between two bones. If the item penetrates as if going through butter the ribs are done. From that point, for falling off the bone, just cook a bit longer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt S Brew City Smoker:
Thanks for the advice I notice tho my temp drops off at about the 3 - 4 hour mark down to 200 any tips? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Start with more unlit fuel to keep the heat going. For spares, for what it's worth, I start with at least 3/4 ring full and then add my lit

Matt, what temp were you cookin em at?
Actually, it's only 6pm in milwaukee, no big deal waiting for dinner today, ...run your WSM at 200 for another hour and you'll be set.
Matt, your ribs are probably 90% done...
another hour at 200'F is good.

If you add more fuel, get the coals glowing before you add them to your smoker, or you will cool down even more. You'll probably spike to 300 but adjust your bottom venst to compesate. Bring those ribs up to 195 degrees internal temp. I would also take them back out of the foil at 180 degrees internal temp.

If you don't have a thermometer, you can pick up the ribs from one end (bone side down) with a set of tongs and if they bend easily in the middle and the meat starts to crack, they are done...

I ate them already they werent bad but they werent as tender as I had hoped. I add about 1/2 a chimney of hot coals to my charcoal ring which is about half full. Am I using too little in the beginning? Jim I'm going to follow your method next time. Also next time Im just going to foil the water pan I dont know why I even mess with putting water in this thing it just seems to be a hassle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt S Brew City Smoker:
I ate them already they werent bad but they werent as tender as I had hoped. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not cooked long enough based on your information

I've never had spares done in under 5 hours, and 90% of the time we're looking at the 6 hour mark.

4 hours is def. too short, and I would try foiling for an hour if you're looking for fall off the bone.

Lesson learned will try again Friday. This is only my 6th or 7th time with my WSM and have only had poor results twice. I'll definitely keep them on for at least 5 1/2 hours next time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Close everything up WITH your ribs on the top rack. Once your dome temp hits 225'F, close your vents to 1 third open and the top ALWAYS wide open. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you close the top vent too until the temp gets to 225'F?

First off, I agree with the consensus about time - not long enough. Also, for real FOTB ribs, you're best off foiling them for at least an hour for BBs and 2 for spares. My wife likes them that way so I usually foil one rack, but not the others and the difference is marked. So, smoke for 3 hours, foil 'em and put them back onto the smoker for an hour or so, then outside the foil for the last hour. If you want them *really* FOTB, then do it for the last 2 hours and then just take them off. I find them too soft like that, but that's me.

Back