Things we learned this weekend -- ’Fess up, y’all!

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I’ll start by bareing all because I'm so pleased:

This weekend was a great learning experience and I learned a lot! As always, you learn a little and you question a little. That keeps us coming back, right? If we knew it all, it wouldn’t be nearly as much fun.

As a caveat….I don’t get to smoke as often as most of you do, or as much as I’d like to either, but I surely do enjoy it when I can.

1. My FIRST OVERNIGHT COOK -- AWESOME! Curiosity overcame good sense and trust in the WSM’s capabilities, though, despite all the great reviews.
I did get excellent data, though, on overnight cooker and meat temps every hour or so.
MEMO TO SELF: Catch up on sleep tomorrow.
icon_eek.gif

2. FAT CAP. I removed all of the fat cap. Meat was still moist, but next time I just might leave 1/8” or 1/1/6” of it on (at least in a few places), although I did get awesome bark -- flavorful and dark, and not overcaramelized at all.

3. COOK TIME. My total cook time at 215-225°F was 12 3/4 hours for a 5.5-pound butt. I suspect my temps might have been a little lower than my readings indicated.

4. RESTING / HOLDING METHOD. Loved the technique of wrapping the 195°-197°F butt in Saran Original and 2 layers of foil and returning it to the shut-down WSM while it was cooling off. My 5.5-pound bone-in butt maintained 195° down to 140°F internal temperatures over a period of 6 to 7 hours.

5. Next time: TEST INJECTION WITHOUT VINEGAR. I gave the meat a light rub and refrigerated it overnight. I then injected the butt with a very light vinegar/apple juice/rub mixture just before I lit my Minion Method coals. 40-45 minutes later I gave the meat a second rub and put it onto the cooker. I found the cooked meat just slightly mushy…due to the light vinegar injection or to the long holding/resting period?….Not sure. The meat definitely needs some vinegar, but early-on might not be the time to add it….gotta check.

6. DON’T TRY TO GET EVERYTHING INTO ONE COOK. I made too many sauces to test at one swell foop -- (2 tomato-mustard, 2 vinegar-based, 2 tomato-based). Most seemed good (no duds today) but there were too many choices to wind up with a preferred list and I finished up not knowing what I knew.
icon_confused.gif

7. CHECK MY NU-TEMP RECEIVER against the transmitters more often. My receiver hung up on one temperature for 1 or 1 1/2 hours until (duh!) I checked the transmitters outside, one of which showed a reading 35° lower than shown on the receiver. This has happened at least 3 times previously.
Receiver distance from the transmitters too far? …. Interference? Two transmitters standing 6 inches apart?
icon_confused.gif
(Batteries were recently renewed).

8. AMOUNT OF MEAT TO COOK. I had to cook this piece of meat by itself because it was a freezer “must-use now” and a good cut to practice on. Once I’m more confident with what I’m doing, rub- and injection-wise, I’ll cook at least 2 shoulders with individual weights larger than this one to make the cook more practical and so I can start them earlier in the evening (I put mine on at midnight).

9. YIELD. From a 5.5-pound bone-in shoulder (large bone), I wound up with 2.96 pounds of useable meat -- a little more than half the original weight. Pretty good, I think.

10. FUEL. I started out with a full ring of Kingsford and have about 2 quarts of partially-spent coals left. Pretty amazing after a 12 3/4-hour cook (not counting WSM cool-down time)!

AND FINALLY….A gracious plenty of thanks to all who have shared their experiences and the excellent advice that I’ve garnered here. Thanks for patiently putting up with all my questions. You’re all the BEST!
icon_smile.gif

Rita

Glad it was tasty. Love pork!
I have never wrapped in the suran wrap, have just used the foil, towels, then in the cooler. I have held them for 5 hours that way. Maybe I should try what you did if I need to hold them longer.
I didn't care for the vinegar injection. Did it one time, only use apple juice with "other" items added now.
Nu-temp..I keep both of them side by side during the smoke with no issues. I have the base unit inside the garage about 20 feet away at most, so I would say mine is pretty close to the transmitters, so I never had an issue this way. I just peek into the garage to see what the temps are.
I still learn things when cooking. That's part of the fun!!
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Wow. Great Rita. I had no idea you'd never done an overnighter!

We were having September rains (and winds) in June in Fla so...I did manage to toss together a mix of shallots, broccoli, red bell, Brussels sprouts and a few hebs for grill-roasting in the kettle. I ended up sauteein free-range b/s/ chicken breasts (rubbed with a mix based on Pnezey's new pimenton--recommended!), chunking them up and tossing that with the vegs and some penne. The other night was brined pork tenderloins rubbed with garlic and herbs de Provence and roasted at high heat.

What I learned was that if I don't get my roof built over my grill deck (my grill 'gazebo' was wiped out in last years hurricanes) I won't be grilling/smoking as much as I like, now that the rainy season is here.

If you're going to inject, try holding off on the vinegar. Personally, I'm of the no fuss no muss school of Q. I don't inject anything, nor do I mop, baste, flip. (I do foil ribs and the occasional brisket.) For pulled pork I mix in a little vinegar-based sauce before serving (with a little rub as well); I heartily agree. PP needs vinegar, but I find the sauce addition works well.

I, too, have learned that 7- 8-pound butts, preferably two, are great for an overnighter.

Glad your weekend cook was successful and that you had fun doing it.

I think I learned that for a 6.5lb brisket flat, that 10hrs is too long. The sliced brisket was tasty, but I found it dry, inspite of two butt's on the upper rack.

Next time 8-9 hrs, then take it off.

I don't know what I learned this weekend...I had the 6.5# brisket flat and put it on at 0616 Sun and by 2 pm, temps was only 140. This is after smoking at 225is, never above 250. Never could get it about 140 (yes, I did check several places in the flat). Took it off and let it rest after 11hrs. Taste and texture were great, but not as tender as I had hoped. Still searching for the correct tech. The WSM did great as I left for SS/Church and came back and smoker was right where I left it.

When going on a road trip to Trader Joe's and Wegmans i need to take my truck instead of the wifes Jeep Grand Cherokee. Due to quiting smoking back in Feb and my continuing unhealthy eating habits i no longer am comfortable for extended time periods in the Jeep. The Ram 4x4 has way more room for the 1 1/2 of me.
Need to take more cash the next time. $200.00 is not enough money to bring back the required meat i desire.
Need to get a bigger cooler for said meat.

Quick aside:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quiting smoking back in Feb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is that going?

Kevin, Not too bad i guess. I smoked 2+ packs a day for over 20 years so it's going to take some time for the urge to go away. I smoked my last cig on Feb 15 th and have not had one since. It's getting better but i still get the urge to smoke on a daily basis. The cravings aren't nowhere near as bad and are getting better by the day.

I learned that working 12 hour days on weekends really isn't any fun.
icon_frown.gif

Oh wait, I've none that for years. Oh well, pays the bills.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quiting smoking back in Feb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Way to go, Bryan. No mean feat. I'm proud of you! I'll bet your BBQ tastes better too.

Regarding the vinegar in my injection - I asked Jim Minion why there was none in his formula since so many other recipes included it. He suggested substituting a little, not much, vinegar for some of the apple juice and since this was a test run, I ran with it.

Thanks, Jim - really. It was a good learning experience for me. Luckily your suggestion of "only a little" was right on target. I thought my PP was just very slightly mushy, but I was looking for it and no one else noticed it at all. I had a few bites for breakfast (cold) and it wasn't at all noticeable. Need to add more rub, though.

Can't wait for my next overnighter. Maybe in a couple of weeks. (And I'll get more sleep, too!)

Rita

Things I learned,

1) I pulled my ribs after foiling and put in a cooler. Took 'em out 3 hours later, glazed and warmed on kettle...BIG hit. Too tender, but BIG hit.

2) Brine - maybe its the brine that gives chiken skin it texture, not the temp. Marinaded some chicken and cooked at same temps as brined chicken cooks...skin turned out very good and tender.

3) I need more practice in making butts for slicing. Cooked 2 awesome butts for pulling, but cooked one for slicing. Took it to 175°, and frankly it was dry. Maybe needs more fat cap.

I also did my 1st overnight this past weekend. Two 7lbs butts top rack, and my 1st flat bottom rack. Full ring of kingford with five chunk of hickory buried/ full lit chimney poured on top with 4 more chunks of hickory to top it off. Water in the pan. Put meat on at 7:30 p.m. Sat. Dome temp 250/ Top vent 100% open/ Bottom vents 25% open. Went to bed at 12 midnight. My Black & Tan Coon Hound get up at 6am every day no days off. Dome temp still set at 250. I did not open lid until I took flat off at 10:30 am Butts came off at 2:30 pm. Took both to enternal temp of 200. I learn that all I need to do is just put it all together and it just cooks itself. Everything tasted great. I can not seem to hold things in warmed cooler. Wrapped in foil and towel the temp seems to drop pretty fast. I had to put flat in frig to wait on the butts.

Joey--

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Took it to 175°, and frankly it was dry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm surprised. was it a 'standard' large bone-in?

Mike--

Lousy cooler? Dunno. I use a cheap styro one, don't pre-warm--just stick the foiled meat in--toss a towel on top, and it's good for hours.

Congrats on your successful cook though. Sounds great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Took it to 175°, and frankly it was dry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now that I think about it, maybe I'm not surprised. Normally when I cook butt for slicing I'm not cooking it at the same time as butts for pulling. I cook slicing butts at a higher temp and subsequently get more of a bounce during the resting phase. On the occasion that I cook both at the same time I cook at the usual lower temp and I pull the slicer(s) at 180. Perhaps that was the problem. The butt just needed to cook longer. Just a thought.

Kevin,

The slicer was a little smaller, about 5.5 lbs, bone in. I took the fat cap off of it before cooking. The dryer meat was by far the "Ms. White" section running down the middle. The darker muscles underneath that proved a little more moist, but it was still on the dry side, and when I say 175, it was a general temp, The sucker was ranging from about 182 to 173 depending on where I was poking. I might try deboning next time as after scouring archives, there seems to be a concensus that boning a butt for slices is a common practice.

If you do a boneless for a slicer I'd be interested in your results. I've always done bone-ins for slicing.

I learned that my drinking hobby can interfere with my cooking hobby if I'm not carefull.

Did some ribs over brisket and the ribs were a big hit. Personally they were too tender(falling off the bone) but that's the way a lot of people seem to like them anyways.(still sober at this point)

Did a herb encrusted prime rib on the rotis on my kettle and it was great!!(still sober at this point).
Learned not to let the wife make the gravy!!(too much red wine for her at this point)

Went to bed at 2:30 am, brisket was at 160 after 12.5 hours.( Drinking hoby has pretty much taken over at this point). Set alarm and got up at 4:30 and brisket was at 185 checked it with a fork, seemed tender but for some reason decided to let it go for a bit longer but in hindsight should have pulled it then! Got up at 9:00 AM !!!!smoker temp was 165, meat temp was 165 my remote alarm as well as the clock radio were going off!!Staggered outside rapped the brisket in foil put it in a cooler and had a coffee.

What did I learn this weekend?

BBQ'ing with my WSM is fun!
I like cold beer!
Black russians are awsome on a hot day!
2:30 AM is too late for me to go to bed!
4:30 AM is too early for me to get up!
You shouldn't cook an 11 pound brisket for 20 hours!
Cold beer cures hangovers!!!

Tryin to cook in Canada

I can hardly stop typing to wipe my eyes, much less reply here. They say that laughter burns a lot of calories.

Thanks, James....that story was worth at least 2 pounds!..... And a lesson.
icon_eek.gif

Rita

Back