Maryland Pit Beef

V_Rocco

TVWBB Pro
Maryland is not known for its BBQ, but we do have something special. Its called Bit beef. I've sampled this across the Baltimore region, and it is awesome. I've never been able to duplicate it until now. I found this recipe by Steve Raichlen in the New York Times. All I can say is it is unbelievable. I cooked the roast directly over the charcoal. I turned it frequently, until it was black on each side. It needs to be rare, so take it off the fire as soon as it reaches 120-130 degrees. It will continue to cook while you're slicing it.

NY Times

I don't know how long the link will be good, so here it is:

BALTIMORE PIT BEEF SANDWICH
Adapted from Big Fat Daddy's
Time: 1 hour, plus 3 hours' to 3 days' marinating

For the rub:
2 tablespoons seasoned salt
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

For the sandwich:
1 3-pound piece top round
8 kaiser rolls or 16 slices of rye bread
Horseradish sauce (see recipe)
1 sweet white onion, sliced thin
2 ripe tomatoes, sliced thin (optional)
Iceburg lettuce (optional).

1. Combine ingredients for the rub in a bowl, and mix. Sprinkle 3 to 4 tablespoons all over the beef, patting it in. Place in a baking dish, and cover with plastic wrap. You can cover the beef with the rub for a few hours, but for maximum flavor, leave it for 3 days in the refrigerator, turning once a day.

2. Prepare a hot grill. Grill beef 30 to 40 minutes, or until outside is crusty and dark brown and internal temperature is about 120 degrees (for rare). Turn beef often. Transfer to a cutting board; let it rest 5 minutes.

3. Slice beef thinly across grain. Pile beef high on a roll or bread slathered with horseradish sauce. Garnish with onions, tomatoes and sliced lettuce. Serve.

Yield: 8 sandwiches.

HORSERADISH SAUCE
Adapted from Big Fat Daddy's
Time: 3 minutes

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup prepared white horseradish, or to taste
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and black pepper to taste.

Combine ingredients in a bowl, and whisk to mix. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups.

BTW... Put a splash of your fav BBQ Sauce on the sandwich. We call them samwiches in Baltimore.
icon_smile.gif

Great article, thanks for posting. Sounds like a road trip on the Roade Glide for a Pit Beef Sammy sometime soon.
icon_biggrin.gif

You know, it's weird. I looked for a picture, but I could not find one. I should have taken a picture of mine. LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by V_Rocco:
I've sampled this across the Baltimore region, and it is awesome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
V. Rocco, which place is your fav? Acc to map quest, I'm 1.5 hrs away from Chaps, Big Fat Daddy's. I'm going to try and get down there sometime soon.
icon_biggrin.gif

Fat Daddy's is awesome, but there is another Road side stand in Hanover, MD. If you are south of Baltimore, that might be easier to get to. It is called Smokey's pit beef. Their Pit Turkey is pretty darn good also. The place is located one block south of Route 100 on Route 1 (Washington, Blvd). I have heard they are not open on the weekends, but I am not sure if that is true. I used to work right near there, and spent many lunch hours just haging out.

Check out this news story in the City paper. There are a lot of good places on Route 40, east of Baltimore. That is the home of Pit Beef:

Pit Beef

You might want to try Big Al's instead of Fat Daddys, but I never had a problem with Fat Daddys.

In Cockeyesville (north of Baltimore) there is another place called the Charcoal Deli. They are open all the time just like a regular restaurant.

The absolute king of Pit Beef is Andy Nelson's BBQ. It is in Cockeyesville, right next to Valley View Farms. VVF will be easy to find. It is the best by far. I've never had a bad samwiche there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by V_Rocco:
Fat Daddy's is awesome, but there is another Road side stand in Hanover, MD. If you are south of Baltimore, that might be easier to get to. It is called Smokey's pit beef.

You might want to try Big Al's instead of Fat Daddys, but I never had a problem with Fat Daddys.

In Cockeyesville (north of Baltimore) there is another place called the Charcoal Deli. They are open all the time just like a regular restaurant.

The absolute king of Pit Beef is Andy Nelson's BBQ. It is in Cockeyesville, right next to Valley View Farms. VVF will be easy to find. It is the best by far. I've never had a bad samwiche there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for all the info. I'm above you in PA. I can go many different ways down to MD. The best way for me is probably down 272 to Rt 1 go right and make a left right at the Conewingo Damn and head down through Port Deposit verses Rt 30 to 83 South, death highway.
icon_eek.gif
When I go i'll have my appetite with me so I'm planning on trying as many as I can find while there. I can eat a lot and it shows.
icon_biggrin.gif

Well, good luck to you, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun. 83 might be the death highway, but it goes right by Andy Nelson's BBQ.
icon_smile.gif

IMHO, it's the best of the bunch (OK, I can't really decide which is the best!)

Bryan, might be better to stay on Rt 1 until you hit Bel Air then take Rt 24 down to Rt 40, it would put you on Rt 40 a lot closer to the places mentioned.

We have Fast Eddies in North East but I don't know how they compare to the places closer to Baltimore. Next time I'm down that way, I'm gonna have to do some sampling of my own.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Jones:
Bryan, might be better to stay on Rt 1 until you hit Bel Air then take Rt 24 down to Rt 40, it would put you on Rt 40 a lot closer to the places mentioned.

We have Fast Eddies in North East but I don't know how they compare to the places closer to Baltimore. Next time I'm down that way, I'm gonna have to do some sampling of my own. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Matt, Thanks for the directions tip. I can swing by and pick you up when I go down. I can be in N East in about 45 min or less.
icon_biggrin.gif

I'll second that on Andy Nelson's BBQ. Probably one of the best BBQ joints in Maryland. Lucky for me, its 10 min. from my house!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Originally posted by V_Rocco:

You might want to try Big Al's instead of Fat Daddys, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Big Al's in Essex is awesome. I used to keep a boat on the bay and BA's was a regular stop. I work at the Harley plant in York,Pa. and BA's owner and I traded some t-Shirts. It was fun. Great Sammichs.
icon_wink.gif

Might hafta buy another boat.

Here is a pic of a pit beef sandwich: Pit Beef

In Ocean City, I always liked Bull on the Beach

There used to be a place over the bridge on the way to OC that had great pit beef. Might have been Easton. Just a road side stand. It was near a Holiday Inn. Been years since I've lived in MD!

Born and raised in MD!

Baltimore is losing their pit beef places at an alarming rate. I'm pretty sure Big Fat Daddy's is closed.

I've done pit beef using eye of round on the Kamado and it came out great. Should work fine on the WSM minus the water pan. The Baltimore pits cook theirs a couple feet above the coals, although most now use gas.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil E:

There used to be a place over the bridge on the way to OC that had great pit beef. Might have been Easton. Just a road side stand. It was near a Holiday Inn. Been years since I've lived in MD!

Born and raised in MD! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's also a Bull on the Beach in Bel Air now ! Been there a couple of times, but I gotta say, neither my wife nor I cared for it much....might be closer for Bryan S, though
icon_smile.gif

Of course, if anyone takes in an O's game at Camden Yards, there's always Boog Powell's place....

Dean...

Would this be good marinated over night in a steak & chop sauce, or is this something that requires you to stay true to the rub recipie that is posted? I would think that the rare meat and horseradish sauce are what makes it authentic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil E:

Born and raised in MD! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's also a Bull on the Beach in Bel Air now ! Been there a couple of times, but I gotta say, neither my wife nor I cared for it much....might be closer for Bryan S, though
icon_smile.gif

Of course, if anyone takes in an O's game at Camden Yards, there's always Boog Powell's place....

Dean... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ate several times at "The Bull on The Beach" in OC Maryland and it was OK, along with Thrashers fries. I think the other places is more what I'm after.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Too bad they didn't include a picture of a samwich.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

PittBeef012.jpg

Back