Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: New stoker-web

I just finished my new stoker-web setup that I thought might be of interest. I've never had much success getting the wifi on my gen 1 wifi stoker to connected to my home network....it just don't do it. finally I decided to take a different route.
    I setup a raspberry pi to run as both a router and a server. The router uses wifi to connect to the network then runs a separate subnet out the ethernet port for the stoker which is now wired only. Toss in a tomcat server and stoker-web and now wherever I go, I have a working stoker-web configuration that is wifi capable and could easily run off a battery if needed and it only ran me another $35 for the pi!

Thanks for all the work Gary! (I know my family appreciates the shorter, less kludge-like setup too)

Eventually I want to re-bundle the whole thing into a small pelican type case so I have one box instead of two, but that is for another day.

Installing Stoker-web on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

For fun today I tried to get stoker-web installed on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS NUC PC. It's smaller than the Stoker and is a Core i5. I downloaded the runStokerweb.jar per the instructions and everything seemed fine, but when I open the localhost:8080, it pops up a configuration page and it has my probes and blower listed. I can update that and even login as the user I created. But I never see the dials or graph. I'll insert some screen shots:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Well, I finally pulled my head out of my smoker and figured out that I had not properly configured the Stoker-web settings via the drag and drop function. Dials are now showing.

I wanted to close on issues above with configuration. I've gotten a lot more familiar with the operation and used stoker-web on my NUC PC monitoring the Stoker during a 14 hour smoke last weekend. Worked flawlessly. I used whatever PC/tablet was handy to login and check the cook, even used the Android phone app to work with the Stoker-web server. I setup my router so I could open the Stoker-web server on the WWW and have the phone app update me while I was away from the house for dinner.
    Picture below. Note the NUC sitting on top of the Stoker in a weather proof plastic box. Also note the professional use of duct tape to build little awnings over the connector ports.

TVWBB Member
    Just plugged my stoker back in for a long cook and ran Stoker Web only to get a directory instead of the gauges... Anyone run into this?

hello all …. long time owner of Stoker (old version 2.6.0.193) …. have run StokerLog on Windows in past, but I have lost access to Windows machines

I saw this ref to a web based tool to control my BGE …. but I'm now a (novice) mac person

any links to StokerWeb on mac for Dummies?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

edited to add:
    I made a little progress (I think)

got the runStokerweb.jar downloaded

ran it from the command line and got similar error as a previous poster:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/gbak/sweb/run/RunStokerweb : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader. java:637)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java :621)
    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Secure ClassLoader.java:141)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader .java:283)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader. java:58)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java: 197)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.j ava:190)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:3 06)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launche r.java:301)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:2 47)

then followed suggestion to previous poster and ran java -version with these results:

java version "1.6.0_65"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode

don't know if this is the correct version …. when I run the Java applet to verify my level of Java, I get:
    "You have the recommended Java Installed (Version 8 Update 45)."

now I'm stumped (again)
    Last edited by Crawford; 05-23-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Hello Crawford,

The java version you have installed on your mac is incorrect, in your java -version command the version comes back as 1.6. You need at least 1.7 to run stokerWeb.

This S.O. link describes the issue and a few solutions:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...sing-version-6

Sorry for the late reply, ever since the forum upgrade a few years, I've never been able to be notified of thread updates.

TVWBB Member
    Crawford -- for a Mac version, go to stokerx.com. I've used it for a long time... great program.
    Dave

Certified MOINK Baller
    18" WSM (Stoked), Summit S-450, Superfast GreenThermapen
    Genesis 1000 (Retired), 1983 Weber Kettle (Retired), and dreaming of a new 22" WSM
    Cooking at 5800' - The WSM has a hard time breathing up here!

not sure anyone is still working with Stoker-web for development, but I still use it when cooking. I recently converted my server to a Pandaboard (TI OMAP4 ARM) because it's fast enough to run this app and I have the board doing nothing. It freed up a NUC for another project. Just looking at the output from the web page or the Android smartphone app, things are going fine, but looking at the logs, I see a constant stream of errors that I question. I'll paste one below. Seems to happen every time the Stoker is polled.

Not sure if I have a firmware that is not compatible with StokerWeb Server. I have 2.7.0.332. my Stoker is a White one with no WiFi. I know the firmware is a little advanced because it has WiFi options that's are meaningless to my Stoker.

11:07:52,198 ERROR StokerFile:224 - IOException writing to output file: [Ljava.lang.StackTraceElement;@1dd1ef3
    Feb 08, 2016 11:07:52 AM com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus dispatch
    SEVERE: Could not dispatch event: com.gbak.sweb.server.events.DataPointEvent[source=com.gbak.sweb.server.monitors.stoker.Stoker PitMonitor@152f6aa] to handler [wrapper public void com.gbak.sweb.server.log.file.StokerFile.handleDat aPointEvent(com.gbak.sweb.server.events.DataPointE vent)]
    java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor14.invoke(Unkno wn Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
    at com.google.common.eventbus.EventHandler.handleEven t(EventHandler.java:69)
    at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventHandle r.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventHandler.java:45)
    at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatch(Event Bus.java:317)
    at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatchQueued Events(EventBus.java:300)
    at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus. java:268)
    at com.gbak.sweb.server.data.telnet.StokerTelnetContr oller.addDataPoint(StokerTelnetController.java:476 )
    at com.gbak.sweb.server.data.telnet.StokerTelnetContr oller.streamReader(StokerTelnetController.java:430 )
    at com.gbak.sweb.server.data.telnet.StokerTelnetContr oller.access$1(StokerTelnetController.java:330)
    at com.gbak.sweb.server.data.telnet.StokerTelnetContr oller$1.run(StokerTelnetController.java:178)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.gbak.sweb.server.log.file.StokerFile.handleDat aPointEvent(StokerFile.java:230)
    ... 12 more

Quote Originally Posted by JimA View Post
    not sure anyone is still working with Stoker-web for development, but I still use it when cooking. I recently converted my server to a Pandaboard (TI OMAP4 ARM) because it's fast enough to run this app and I have the board doing nothing. It freed up a NUC for another project. Just looking at the output from the web page or the Android smartphone app, things are going fine, but looking at the logs, I see a constant stream of errors that I question. I'll paste one below. Seems to happen every time the Stoker is polled.

Not sure if I have a firmware that is not compatible with StokerWeb Server. I have 2.7.0.332. my Stoker is a White one with no WiFi. I know the firmware is a little advanced because it has WiFi options that's are meaningless to my Stoker.
    So I've been playing with this all day (advantages of being retired) and I've come to this conclusion:

1. My firmware version does indeed work fine.

2. The error can be eliminated by deleting the current cook and creating a new one, even though it's the same setup.

After doing that I received minimal dialog in the log files.

Jim A

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast