7 Hour Baby Back Ribs

Ben Leyhew

TVWBB Member
A friend of mine has a Komodo grill and cooks his ribs for 7-8 hours at 180. I haven't tried to go this low and slow yet, but wondered if anyone has ever slowed their baby backs down this much. His rub recipe is pretty basic:
1 cup of Emeril's Essence
1 cup of Brown Sugar
2 tspn of cayenne (optional, for a little heat)
Mix the ingredients together, rub on ribs for 24 hours prior to smoking, cook for 7-8 hours at 180 depending on amount of ribs. Finish with the sauce of your choice.

It's harder to maintain 180*F in the WSM than in a Kamado or BGE. 225*F is the way to go in the WSM and you'll get similar results.

Regards,
Chris

my favorite part of Baby Backs is that they cook in three hours or less. If I'm gonna smoke for 8 hours I feel like I might as well go a few more hours and cook pulled pork or brisket.

I hsve sn ATC so I am not concerned about maintaining a low temp. I really want to hear from someone who has actually cooked babybacks at such a low temp and how they turned out. I have only cooked at 225 or above on the ribs, but was curious to see if it produced any different results.

I do Loin Back BB all the time on my WSM 22 and they always take between 4 to as long as 7 hrs to pass the tear test . But iam retired for now and got loads a time so I do everything low and slow if Iam using the WSM
wsmsmile8gm.gif

If there's an advantage to stretching it to 7 hours I'll try that next time in my brick pizza oven. After its initial firing the oven can retain heat and maintain low temps for days.

I use the saucer over the waterpan with great success. A friend gave me a whole box of ceramic briquettes for a gas grill.I got the bright idea to try filling up the water pan with them and putting the saucer on.

I cooked two BCC's this way and couldn't get the WSM to hit 225 without cracking the lid. Halfway through the cook I took the waterpan out and finished the cook with ease.

I think I could maintain 180-190 with the waterpan filled this way. I had all of the vents full bore and was holding 200,cracking the lid it would get up to 225.

I think baby-back/loin-back benefit from a high-heat smoke, 275-325. They're a bit on the lean side; I have better luck with them that way. The spares/St Louis I like a bit lower and slower to render some of the fat out.

Ben if u want really low temps in the wsm, buy or have a charcoal grate made to sit below the bottom vents kind of like the smokey joe platunum.

When doing jerky on the WSM I am able to keep the temps around 170 without a problem. Just start with 5-10 lit and about 50 or so unlit. Usually lasts about 7 hours or so and then needs to be refueled.

It does seem like these temps may be a little low for ribs and 225 seems to do just fine and gets them done quicker but as the saying goes...there's more than one way to skin a cat, or in this case, cook some delicious ribs!

Give it a shot and let us know how they turn out!

Back