Mexican Shredded Beef

gdakins

Here is a recipe for Mexican Shredded beef that I thought I would share. I make it often and make all kinds of stuff with it. Makes great enchilada's and tacos. I like it over rice also.

Beef Machaca
This is a basic machaca recipe. You can add to it or take away from it. Spice it up a little by adding chili powder or chili paste. Finish with some diced potatoes for “Machaca con papas.” You could also make a version of this recipe with leftover roasts or fajitas. Skip the marinade step and the searing step. Simply simmer the meat with the other ingredients until it is falling apart then shred it.
Marinade:
• ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
• Juice of two limes
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp chili powder
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp black pepper
• ½ cup vegetable oil or olive oil
Machaca:
• 2-3 lb Chuck Roast or Skirt Steak, trimmed and cut into ¼ lb portions.
• 1 Large Texas Sweet Onion (yellow onion) diced
• ½ green bell pepper diced
• 4 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
• 1 Fresh Jalapeno Pepper, minced
• 1 14oz can diced tomatoes or tomatoes with green chilies
• ¼ cup beef broth
• 1 Tb dried oregano
• 1 Tb ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce such as Tabasco
• salt and pepper to taste
• Vegetable oil for searing the beef
For the marinade, combine all the ingredients in a bowl then whisk them to form an emulsion. Add the beef making sure every piece is evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate.
Marinate the beef overnight in a bowl in the refrigerator. Before preparing, drain thoroughly and allow meat to come up to room temperature for about 30 minutes.
In a large soup pot, heat a few tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Sear the beef a few pieces at a time to develop a rich brown color on all sides as well as on the bottom of the pan. Do this in several batches if the pot is too crowded.
When all the beef is browned nicely and removed from the pan, add the onions, peppers, and garlic to the hot pan. Sauté for a few minutes then add the remaining ingredients to the pan along with the beef. Bring to a boil, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer slowly for about 2 hours. The meat should be very tender and should easily fall apart when pricked with a fork.
Remove from heat, remove meat to a cutting board and shred with a pair of forks. Return to the pot and bring to a simmer, uncovered. Reduce the liquid until very thick, almost dry. At this point, adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, and whatever additional heat you want to add if any.
Serve with tortillas, cheese, salsa, lettuce and guacamole for a great beef taco. Portion and freeze the remaining machaca in zip lock bags for later use.

Looks good... I'm used to good food such as this but it is impossible to find restaurants in Kansas (where I live now) that even have an inkling of what Mexican food is suppose to taste like or even what is in it. Restaurants here use ground beef and beans instead of deliciously prepared beef such as what is in your recipe. Thanks for posting this and I urge everyone to try it to know what good Mexican food is. What it is is wonderful when prepared like this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LDThornton:
Looks good... I'm used to good food such as this but it is impossible to find restaurants in Kansas (where I live now) that even have an inkling of what Mexican food is suppose to taste like or even what is in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where in Kansas are you around? I can recommend a couple of good places in the Salina/McPherson/Hutchinson area.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gdakins:
Small World! I live in Salina. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make up a batch and swing on by!! Getting hungry here just thinking about some your Mexican shredded beef. Haven't had any good Mexican food since I was in California last.

Made a big batch of this last night.. added a couple more jalapenos for more heat and whole red bell and green bell peppers.

It was quite tasty!

Glad you liked it! I made a big batch last weekend and I also added more heat to it. I used 3 fresh Jalapenos from the garden and a green chilli. It was very good.

Made this last week, my sons and their gf's said that it was one of the best beef taco's that they have ever tasted.
icon_cool.gif

Thanks for posting that one!

Tim

In my opinion this is the best way to serve Machaca, mixed w/eggs for breakfast:

I feel for you guys who don't have access to these hole-in-the-wall Mexican resturants that we have in Cali (just remember we have to deal w/fires, earthquakes, high cost of living and Arnold); my SO is Hispanic and has taken me to some of the most amazing dives and introduced me to some amazing dishes (barbacoa and lengua). Also her mother is an incredible cook so whenever she stays with us it's like having a Mexican restaurant in your kitchen, homemade tortillas, enchiladas, chili rellenos etc. Man I love that women, she doesn't speak much English and I speak no Spanish (other than words that will get my face slapped) but we speak the universal language, GOOD FOOD!

Wow! That looks wonderful! I have some in the freezer and think I will thaw it out and try it with eggs. Can't wait!

Back